cross flow head, what engines?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by squibby, Sep 19, 2005.

1. squibby Forum Member

Just out of curiousity really, I saw a cross flow H-reg jetta at the scrappy. What engine would this have been? I didn't know any mk2's had cross flow heads?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

either a little 1300, or a KR 16v. The big block 8 valvers didn't have an X-Flow head in those.

What was it badged as?

3. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Deffo not the 8v EV engine

4. squibby Forum Member

It was a jetta GX. Didn't look hard, but a mate said that some 1.8 carbs had sought after cross flow heads. Is this a myth?

5. green with envy Forum Member

From VW 'Tech' pages:

the 2.0-liter 8V VWs in the U.S. only came with the crossflow head. There were no older 2.0-ltr. VWs. Prior to 1993, when VW started using the 2.0-liter. 8V engine, all 8V engines were 1.8 liter. (or smaller prior to 1983). Now, there were Audi models that had the 2.0 liter. 8V engine with the non-crossflow head, and there were a lot of people transplanting those into VW, but they were not factory. Second, the difference between the 8V crossflow head and the earlier 8V head is just what it sounds like. The earlier heads had both the intake and exhaust ports on the same side. In the VWs, this was the backside of the motor, which always made doing any work back there loads of fun.

The crossflow head, on the other hand, had the intake and exhaust ports on opposite sides of the head. This put the intake ports on the front of the engine, and the exhaust, of course, on the backside. For a definite answer on why this was done, you'd have to speak to a VW engineer, but I believe it was primarily for improved safety in a front-end accident. By moving the intake ports to the front, it allowed for a little more room, and a little more of a safety margin, before the engine pushed into the firewall. It made a more attractive engine compartment, the intake manifold giving a more finished appearance.

6. prof Forum Addict

the last paragraph of that is just made up

the crossflow head was designed after a night of mainlining stilton and broccoli soup round at bert fischtrousers house. He arranged a bunch of carrots and bananas covered in tin foil on top of the old 8v in his jetta, and said "I haff inwented zee krossenflowerellerpump kopf" and that's how it happened....honest

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Never heard that one...I reckon someone's chucked a valver in it. Have a look at the engine number the next time you're in.

8. squibby Forum Member

I know what a valver looks like, and I know it didn't have the round airbox found on 1.3 carbs. Something funny about this car, will have a closer look next time I'm at the scrappy. It was deffo a cross flow because the exhaust manifold was on the front and the down pipe passed under the sump. I'll know wether it was a 1.3 that someone has just taken the airbox off, or something else because the 1.3 rockers are easily identifyable.
    Edited by: Squib

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Take a pic...we all want to see now!

[:D]

10. Polo Classic Forum Member

might have been an injected 1,3L engine code NZ, looks just like a Polo GT engine.

H-reg what year is that?

11. Jettin' Forum Member

The 8v crossflow as referenced above has the exhaust on the back of the head, much like the 16v.

I think it would have been a 1.0 - 1.3L engine

12. Jettin' Forum Member

H reg is 90 - 91 I think