cross flow

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ratlasgrey, Dec 13, 2009.

1. pre67 Forum Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what manifold you use for twin 40 ?

2. danster Forum Addict

The manifold in your picture is on of the std oem style as fitted to the production cars like golfs, boras and audis.
    Not really sure how good it will be for out and out performance. It does have a tps though so could be incorporated with megasquirt or similar.
    That will not really work with digifant in a mk2 as they use throttle switches.
    Most folk go to crossflow for performance gains and use twin carbs or itbs.
    You can get an inlet manifold from Rowland in south africa for these conversions. Thats what i used.

3. jettadan Forum Member

Mines a PB block with ABA head and standard ABA inlet, running digifant. Later 2.0 8v cam went straight in no probs and uses a standard head gasket with no probs.

I didn't build the engine so not sure if the two halves had to be modified to get them to fit together, but i have had another one built, based on a G60 block and unknown crossflow head and they needed work to get them to fit together as things didn't line up and head stud sizes were different.

4. jettadan Forum Member

Few pics of the current setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new engine has been built to be turbo'd, so will have a short runner intake to make the most of the crossflow design. Plenty of scope with the right management.

5. danster Forum Addict

The cam issue i had was caused by converting to a mechanical tappet cam which is different from the std hydraulic ones. If you stay hydraulic it would not be a problem.
    I only mentioned that as i am pretty sure mr hillclimber will be reving his beyond the point of using hydro tappets.

EDIT: that last pic shows the extra bit of block face needed at the front of 1 & 2 cylinders. so that is good to know.
    That looks like it has had a fair bit of work done and does show that there is more to it than just bolting a crossflow head on a digifant.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  6. jettadan Forum Member

I gave the head a freshen-up at the start of the year, and it'd had a LOT of work done to it in the past - lots of porting and non-standard valves. It goes well but its far from standard. Found some pics of the other engine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when i trial-fitted it into an old car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of work to do on that before it goes in the blue car. Really glad i've managed to find those pics actually as i can now see how much room there is round the back!

7. jettadan Forum Member

Actually, if anyone fancies buying a 2043cc crossflow 8v let me know, as i might sell the current engine so i can fit the new one.:)

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

how much Dan?

9. jettadan Forum Member

Just in the middle of doing the for sale add - was thinking around the 1000 mark - i know the TSR 2043 bottom ends retail at well over 1k, and i've recently rebuilt the head with new cam etc. (all details in my build thread). It wouldn't come with the oil cooler or BMC, but would come with the Digifant/KStar, all wiring looms and fuse boxes etc etc.

Its done no more than 20k miles since it was fitted by Stealth in about 2002.