Crossflow 2.0 8v head.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ericgtisuff, Feb 20, 2007.

1. ericgtisuff Forum Member

Hallo all
    I just wanted to ask why only the yanks got the 2.0 8v crossflow cylinderhead?
    Surely it's better that the head with the exhaust and inlet on the same side.
    Was the power and torque the same as the cylinder head we get or not?
    Cheers
    Eric

2. prof Forum Addict

we did get it in mk4s and beetles,

3. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

not sure why they had it and we didnt, bit of a bummer really. i think the power levels are pretty much the same.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It's better that the inlet is'nt above the exhaust, that it really, though it's not really a problem on the same side.

5. arienol Forum Member

Easier to add carbs or throttle bodies than a counterflow 8v head, easier and more efficient to turbocharge also.

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

Yes, but the rpm that the max figures appear at are different, ie max torque for the X-flow is 2400 rpm. It's cammed down to that in response the the lack of low end torque from the 20v N/A lump, which it replaced in some situations. When compared to an 8v counter flow with the same cam/induction, i think it will produce more power.

7. VR6Will Forum Member

Check my sig

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

But from your pic you are running a vernier wheel suggesting a uprated cam, ITBs, iirc DTA and headers ( I have seen this car at Fleet and it is neat). Hardly a Stock crossflow comparison with Bhp peak at 7000 from an 8v!! Big figures but what is the torque at 2400 or 3500. From your BHP peak I would say your torque peak is around 5500-5800 which is 16v territory which is good for an 8v but at what cost compared to a 2.0 16v. Is there anybody on here who has similar counterflow 8V hardware tested on the same dyno around the same day with similar results?
    A good comparision would be a AGG or ADY STD power curve vs this motor. Then a study of the components can follow to see what is good and what is not.
    In addition to what mark25 said crossflow motors have a fairly long inlet manifolds which promotes low end torque. The idea of placing the inlet manifold away from the exhaust ports must aid in reducing inlet air charge as well. But the effects of this may be lessened when emission friendly cams and calibration are installed and performed for production.
    US Dudes use this type of motor all the time for turbocharging. Makes aftermarket modification a breeze due to packaging.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  9. mark25 Forum Junkie

Important point! But like with the valver, the width (42 or 50 mm anyone??) is also playing an important role here...

That summarises my point about X-flow having the same power as the counter flow....But...

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

We may never know for sure until someone does a back to back comparison on the two types of motor with simlar internal parts to see if there is any benefit?

11. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Was this crossflow head a straight replacement or you had't to do some mods to get it to fit

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007