Custom Mk1 Golf Shock Inserts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Yoof, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Yoof Forum Member

Hi Chaps,

I'm after a set of adjustable dampened shock absorbers for a mk1 golf, preferably that can be adjusted in situ.

I realise there are Koni Yellows (which i've used before) but the car is too low for these (only suited to -35mm).

What are you trackday chaps using? Springs are 250lb with a frontal weight of 240kg (LF) and 272kg (RF) car is purely for fast road/trackday use.

Need a shock insert too, not a whole unit.

Thanks

Pete

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You're taking custom damper bodies I think. Bilstein used to shorten and modify IIRC, but I think Koni may do too.

Start with Camberley Auto Factors, Koni UK importer, and get them to put you onto one of their 4 affiliated cos, who modify damper units.

3. Yoof Forum Member

Cheers Chris :)

Presume there's no 'off-the-shelf' alternative?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Some FK stuff runs very low, but I doubt they're in shorter bodies.

5. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I know of a very fast Mk1 which used to run Koni's but with modified strut cases on the front to get the car lower, the clevis (bit that bolts to the upright) was removed from the tube by carefully grinding the welds before being slid up the tube by some ammount (i would guess aproximatly 20-30mm) and being re-welded.

You will need to be competant with fabrication and be aware of outer CV/Driveshaft clerance but this should work well.

6. Yoof Forum Member

Cheers for the info, I've got a knackered set of koni yellows to try that on.

Does anyone know of a company that can refurbish Sachs monotube dampers? Have a set off a G40 Cup Car, that would probably suitable valving for what I'm after, just need new wheel bearings and a refresh.

Cheers for the info chaps :thumbup:

7. bigmac Forum Member

I also new of a mk1 with this modification . the clevis was raised by 10-15mm & the spring seat was lowered 5-10mm, the car certainly could handle. The car ran a Koni / Eibach combo iirc.

8. woza Forum Member

I have done the same but cut the spring perch off completely as I converted to coilovers. Running Koni Yellow adjustables with eibach 2.25 springs.

I also shortened the strut body slightly by carefully grinding the welds off the bottom cap, cutting the body to length and welding back on.

Can't seem to find a picture of the finished product...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]