Cutting holes in things

Discussion in 'ICE' started by squibby, Nov 12, 2003.

1. squibby Forum Member

If I was to add some mid-car speakers to the rear door cards of a 3dr mk2 I would have to (very neatly and proffessionaly-lookingly) cut some medium size speaker holes in them. I would use a very discreet Black plain speaker face and do a good job. Would this put anyone off from buying my gti interior if I was to sell it in future? [:[] [:|]

2. coolasacucumber Forum Member

no simple answer to this, some people would like it, others wouldn't.

in my opinion it wouldn't put me off buying a car, but, if your car is pretty much original with a good condition standard interior, I probably wouldn't cut them.

if i were you, i would get some second hand ones on the cheap and cut them.

3. squibby Forum Member

Well, the car isna very good, but has potential. Only a driver. I bought the gti interior seperately and it is very good condition. Prob is I doubt I'll be able to get some spare door cards. Its the black with sort of a grey/black stripe effect with thin red stripey lines down the cards and seats. Not very common. :(

Any other opinions?
    Edited by: Squib

4. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

do you really need some mids?

what other speakers do you have. if you have a decent setup up front you shouldnt really need them,

tim

5. squibby Forum Member

I'v just got a crap boggo set up. I'll be doing it all next week if poss. I was going to get a 50WPC head unit. and run the small (10cm?) speakers in the dashboard from this and also the small/mid sized rear speakers either side of the parcel shelf from it. Then stick a 4cahnnel amp somewhere and run the two speakers suggested above and also the speakers in the doors.

Any suggestions?

6. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

you really shouldnt need that many speakers,

save your money, get some decent ones up front, thats is all you need, then once you have some more money, get a 4 chanel amp, use two of the chanels to power the front speakers, then when you get some more money you can bridge the other two chanels and power a 10" sub,

tim

7. squibby Forum Member

Where would you put the sub? Boot? I know they need to be in a box to give the right resonance, but is there any neat niches in the boot where you discreetly squeeze one in?

8. binliner Forum Member

yeah you can get a box thats shaped to fit in the space next to
    the wheel arch... Id agree with the set up tim suggested

9. squibby Forum Member

So completely sack off the rear speaker wise? - ok if you say so. no point wasting my money. What about the dashboard pods? anything in them?

10. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh there will be if youi get a component set,

this comprises of a woofer (in the door), seperate tweeter (dash) and crossover(hidden),

all you will need is a small box, you can either make it (if you can work with GRP) or you can buy them, they look pretty neat hidden away, then you will need an amp, preferable a 4 chanel that you can bridge two of the chanels like i said before,

tim

add me to msn if you use it, timnicebutdim69@hotmail.com and i will try me best to help you

11. squibby Forum Member

Ta Tim & Binliner [8D]

12. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

tis ok