Damaged key. Lost immobiliser chip

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Biggles1508, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Long story but basically my key got damaged and I've been unable to find the chip for the immobiliser therefore car won't start. What are my options?

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Use your spare of corse :thumbup:

3. Only got 1 key

4. Sirguydo

lol I lost a key for a punto I had for 10 yrs cost 280 by the time you paid for key , code coding a right rip off audi key was a bomb to :cry: so I now I pay 10 a year key cover I got 28 years cover back when I drove over my punto keys with 6t of fork trucklol
    But for now I can't help sorry [:s] try a vagcoms guy ?

5. molegti Forum Member

Unless you have the code I think you'll struggle to get a replacement key without going to the dealer, might be worth a call for a price before assuming it will be expensive. ( I'd guess it will be)

Option 2 you could get a replacement matched key and immobiliser from a breaker and either get the matched locks as well or a new key cut matching your old profile but new chip. Timpsons did this for me on my mk2. The ecu then needs to be matched to the immobiliser in vag com.

I'm fairly sure there's no way to recover the code without the chip from the key or VWs help.

6. snozan Forum Member

ECU + Key = problem solved

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the key is coded the the clocks or immo box in this age of car the so ecu would not need changed just matched with vag com

he may be able to fit a ecu from a earler mk3 with no immobilizer

8. glove Forum Member

The Immo on MK3 is in separate box, it can be programmed only if you have the OM pin code for the Immo. The other option is to go to VW trader with the papers of the car to ask how mach it is to order a new key.

9. MUSHY 16V

i don't think vw give out the skc pin any more

10. gaza2001 New Member

11. Thanks for your help guys. A few options to go at there.

12. Sirguydo

Give 1990 our chairman a pm he lives in Rochdale he must know someone that can sort this locally for you as he's done and had done lots of work including demobilising ecus :thumbup:
    And the chairman always likes to help if he can :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5 options:
    1. send ecu off to be defeated, few places can do it
    2. change ecu for non-immob, but pretty sure the later agg/ady all have immob. if you can find one with immob defeat done tho you sorted, are a few mk3 8v ecu out there tho if in doubt post part numbers of old and new ecu and we can check
    3. buy a new matched immob box and chip, use vagcom to match it to your ecu
    4. buy matched chip, immob box and ecu and swap the lot over
    5. get car recovered to your local VW garage, they can get you a new chip key and code it to your immobiliser box plus cut to your locks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    MUSHY 16V likes this.
  14. MUSHY 16V

what ever you do get two key's

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  15. MUSHY 16V

i think he already knows ian

16. glove Forum Member

The other option is if you can find person ho can read the old imo box memory chip and take the pin from it. I have done one like this many years ago but not in UK, I don`t know ho can do it in UK.

17. Sirguydo

Yes Ian posted same question for a friend lol

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I did look into that and found a forum where stuff like that was talked about but it was invite only, in the end I gave it up as too much hassle

19. Bought emulator 16 on ebay.
    Fitted today. Cars back up and running.

1990 likes this.
  20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one. Do you have a link to it or is it the same as the one above?