Dash and sub frame questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Kivster, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Kivster Forum Member

Hi,

Got a couple of questions on my MK2 1984 GTI A reg (was 1.8ltr now 2ltr);

How easy is it to remove the dash complete, mine has got a split all the way through due to 24years of heat and sun so want to replace it. Are there many securing bolts.

Can I remove the air box without taking out the heater matrix

Lastly, found a hole in my subframe... looking to replace this as not sure it will go through MOT. Are they easy to take out (link to previous post would be ideal... could not find one) and are they interchangeable. i.e. mine for a 1990 1.3 or 1.8.

On the subject of the scrappage scheme, saw a mint MK2 1990 70,000 on the clock at the local scrappy. It will never to see the road again, to be broken for parts. They wouldnt let me take it off their hands in one piece even though I intend breaking for part..... gutted.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

To remove the dash - there's 1 bolt either side of the dash you can see when you open the door, 2 nuts in the scuttle panel by the wiper mech, and one or 2 bolts along the bottom edge of the dash which you can see when you remove the center console and trays.

Subframes have 6 bolts securing them to the car, look underneath, pretty obvious which ones it is. And they're all the same except the ARB, which you can swap over anyway :) Or you could go crazy and get all the kit off a MK3 and widen your track...

Why would telling a scrapyard you want to buy a car to break it persuade them at all, that's exactly what they want it for genius! [:p]

3. Kivster Forum Member

c your point lol.....it must of been the thought of strippin a car at home seeming luxury compared to that of the mud field of the scrappy.....

Can the sub-frame be taken out without the removal of the engine?

4. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Yes, but you have to support the engine when you take the sub-frame off as you need to disconnect the gear box mount and engine mount from the sub-frame. Jack the engine up (just a little) and place an axle stand under the engine mount and one under the gearbox !

See here (yes it's a Mk3 but almost the same !) -

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146587

5. Kivster Forum Member

thanks... will have a look. What sort of time doe it take to remove and can it be done by one person on their own. Cheers

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Depends how handy you are with a ratchet!

Gearbox mount is one bolt, engine mount is 3, then you'll need to disconnect it from the hubs (if it's not already) - easiest way is to undo the 3 little nuts + bolts on the end of the wishbones for the bottom ball joints, then support the engine (preferably lift it off the mounts) and the subframe is the 6 bolts mentioned above :)

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

removed mine the other day along with some other bits in about 2hrs or so ...struggling in a small garage on my own

its not a hard job if none of the bolts snap...which they can

got a pic of the hole? seems to be a few getting rough now

8. Tomo IOW Forum Member

you can buy cheap engine support,that sits between the two wings,attatch some chains and hook it threw the engine hoist eyess, alot more secure