dashboard flocking thread

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by steve r, May 14, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bump for jtothez

2. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

Gary, You should have your head flocked ;) The glare off of it could be dazzling others and causing accidents!

Lee

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've just done a Mk1 dash with a Frosts kit, and it really was an awful job to do. The smaller sections are ok, like you say, but the larger areas are really difficult to finish evenly.

I would honestly say to anyone considering a Frosts kit for an entire dash to *DO NOT BOTHER - IT IS A NIGHTMARE*. It is not worth the sheer effort involved to get a decent finish - just PAY A MAN some money to do it professionally and be done. It's cost you 80 more, but who cares. Inlay panels witht his kit though: fine, they're easier and far smaller jobs.

It has taken me hours - 6 last night, and a couple today, plus all the clearing up - the flock stuff gets everywhere. There's not enough of it either, so it needs a careful gathering up every so often, putting back in the bottle and I was really struggling to get it finished with just the one bag of flock with the kit. The method of blowing it onto the glue with the plastic bottle is mad - it just takes so long.

Last night I was thinking the whole lot would need to be started again with a new dash, but it looked better this morning once the glue had dried and stopped shining at me through the flock.

Knackered now [xx(]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  4. GVK

Flock off :lol:

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No - get flocked :lol:

6. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Any pics of your efforts then Chris?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

2 secs - I'll go and zap it

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t looks ok, and still needs a final vacuum (glue's drying), but the effort involved is outrageous. Post edited above, as on a re-read, it didn't look like enough of a deterrent.

"Flock it" - as they say

Tish, tish, boom!!

9. GVK

It looks ok from here, but you don't sound 100% happy with it - read elsewhere that it's a bit of a nightmare to do 'properly'

10. Michael Thurston Forum Member

Ive just got back from work too, having flocked my mk2 dash and can confirm it's an absolute nightmare!! I had to buy 2 extra bags of fibre (8 quid a bag plus p&p or something stupid-it looks like a load of stuff swept off the carpet factory floor!!) End result looks ok i guess but won't really know until its properly dry.
    Don't think i'll do another one tho..
    BTW if anyone else does one and is horrified at the first patchy effort (as i was!) you can go over it again once its dry without it all congealing into a big lump of gunge...

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Flocking mess i would say!:lol:

Nah it looks pretty cool!

Is the flock really fine? You could put it in an air compressed gun and get and even spray of it on..[:s]

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's ok-ish, but the effort was massive. I actually prefer the slightly rougher appearance that I've seen the Frost version give - more suede-like (compared to the exquisite professional stuff which look like No.1 crewcuts) but last night I would have easily settled for that. Having said that, I think the VWR Mk5 was quite a nice finish.

Edit: VWR Mk5

I managed to avoid that, but only by searching around on the floor for the stuff to re-use. Plus it's a Bank Hol, so it would be nearly Wednesday before I could have a chance of finishing it. I felt like a tramp [xx(] scraping the stuff up, again and again.

Yep, I was going back and back, blobbing glue on areas which were patchy, and re-flocking. Hours and hours lost doing it.....

Really really fine nylon I believe. Compressed air would in theory be good but you'd get through loads of it (8/bag) and it would be everywhere in the room you did the work in. Literally everywhere with compressed air on the go

13. Dub20vt Forum Member

good effort chris, looks pretty good to me..

does anyone know if the AWtracksport dashes are still available?

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I presume so.

Here's a pic of the 'flockin' stuff as it found it's way onto anything in the vicinity - gives an idea of how fine it is (and how to any non 'flocker' it just looks like dust, and gets everywhere like dust):

[​IMG]

15. gofasterpinch Forum Member

thats the exact reason im getting the main body of my dash done properly. i flocked my air vents in my room in uni halls of residence last year and the room was full of the stuff, it must have travelled over 6ft as it was covering the window sill! i tried to do items in a box if i could, so that the unused flock could be collected again and reused. one of the problems i had was that the adhesive would go off very quickly because of the central heating in the building which meant that alot of the flock would "flock off" when i vaccum'd/brushed it off.

does look mint tho, good effort on putting the time in to do it yourself! in the end i bought an extra flocking puffer :lol: from a model railway shop which was much better than the frosts one

the pros use an electro staticly charged gun to make the fibres stand on end, using compressed air alone would just put the fibres on flat i think.

16. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

looks a good effort there Chris, tbh if i ever did the mk1 dash i would a) get AWtrack sport one and b) take your advice and get it done by a pro!

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good point about model railway shops - I can picture flocked grass

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

What's the company that had a display at one of the Combe Rallly Action days?

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pass - missed it. There are a few about, plenty to choose from.

20. GVK