Dave on - 4WD

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dave, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I wrote this some years ago for a blog on FF 4WD.

I worked at GKN Laycock Engineering in Sheffield from 1966 to 1974. GKN had assigned the job of building a workshop to modify Ford Capris to 4WD on a production line system. Although only a student apprentice at the time, I was given the job of designing the storage of interiors, which had to be removed to enable the tunnel to be cut out so as to fit a larger item. I also arranged for the ‘after modification’ washing bay. During all this I was I had to find time to design different plates for the central differential viscous coupling. This to experiment with: circular holes, slotted holes and grooves to ascertain the different percentage of torque which could be sent to each end. To my knowledge the whole thing was killed off by GKN because Ford wanted us to buy fully finished cars, modify them and then it was our responsibility to sell them through their dealers. After Graduation, I was given the responsibility of establishing an Overdrive Re-Furbishment Dept. in the 4WD workshop. At the back of the shop were all of the 4WD components: centre transfer boxes, front and rear prop shafts, front differentials, drive shafts, central tunnels, modified sumps, modified front struts, etc.. Probably 10 sets in all. I left Laycocks about this time to join a company where I could be a Design Engineer. No way I wanted to be production manager no matter at what level! I found out later that all of the 4WD stuff had been thrown in scrap bins! Had I not been honest I could have taken any of the components and no one would have known as only I knew what was there. I visited GKN in Birmingham where they were modifying a Reliant Scimitar to 4WD. Due to the fibre glass body I don’t believe they managed it. I understand that some Triumph Stags were converted. Capri, Scimitar or Stag with 4WD were never going to be world beaters. We had a 2.0L VOLVO 142, which was an outstanding car. I drove it often testing overdrives and it handled and cornered much better than the Capri overdrive test car. They should have put 4WD on the VOLVO it would have been a world beater before AUDI developed ‘Quattro’. Without doubt the Quattro system is a phenomenal piece of Engineering. It is so simple and so light compared with the Ferguson FF system. I have an AUDI 90 20V Quattro which also has an outstanding normally aspirated motor.

afbiker02 likes this.
  2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

F**d may have got cold feet after trying the FF system in a batch of Zodiac saloons for police use/evaluation. That certainly benefited from 4wd, as the standard set-up had the same lift-off/tuck-in of the rear wheels as Triumph Heralds, Spitfires, etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2023