Diesel sounding abf!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by A16vnutter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. A16vnutter Forum Member

Right stuck in traffic yesterday crawling at a snails pace in 2nd gear and I always leave a nice gap from the car infront so I can put my foot down to force some cold air through my radiator and oil cooler! But when I did yesterday it sounded like a bloody diesel pinking until the revs picked up! All my timing is bang on and haven't heard it do it before so was thinking that it was due to the hot air yesterday any one else experiencing it? It's an ABF on kjet! Any help much appreciated as usuall!

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Are you running super unleaded or standard? It really wants super in one of those.

Has it been properly set up on an AFR gauge / dyno? You really want to get it checked with a wide band lambda meter. It could be that it needs setting up again - WUR or metering head issues maybe?

If you need a temporary solution, back the timing off a bit

I don't think ragging your car in stop start traffic will do anything to help it stay cool - probably the opposite.

3. A16vnutter Forum Member

Yeah your probably right mike might not do it any good! I always run it on super unleaded and no it hasn't been properly set up yet but that's something I plan on doing during the summer as I plan to take it to vince at stealth! It seems fine to drive and pulls well with no flat spots!! I'll check the timing with
    my strobe later and if I need to back it off a bit I will!