Difference between 1.8 GTI & 1.8 Driver?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by deacon, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Andy947 Forum Addict

Drivers are hopeless at the top end - the 5th gear is useless, its too tall!!!

You need to keep em in 4th, the driver 4th gear ration is about the same as the gti 5th gear.

the standard 1.8 is about the same as a 1.6 with a gti cam, the 1.8 with a gti cam is a hell of a lot better!!

I know, i've got one of each ;)

2. Bronze MK1 Cab Forum Member

i have told the insurance everthing I've nad done and they haven't put my premiums up!

3. Bronze MK1 Cab Forum Member

Mine is better in the lower gears. It goes great all the way to 100mph. Top speed is only about 116mph, but it's good fun of the mark. First second and third gear is now loads better on accel ;)

4. VdubNash Forum Member

Are u sure it wasn't a 90 bhp 1.4 205 XS?

1.1s have only got 55bhp! I had one as my last car now I've got an 1800 Driver [:D]

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yep same here, i totally gutted the car & changed everything from the ground up mechanically & declared all mods to the insurance, log book now says 2100 driver & i pay 350 fully comp :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Is a bit better than a 1.6 with weber and gti cam, you mean.
    When me and rich git did a run on the 1/4 mile at inters mine was about 2 car lengths ahead at the end.

Oh and agree about 5th gear being useless, If I'm pushing hard I'll got to 110 in 4th.