Disabling Passenger Airbag on a B6 A4?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by damogti, Mar 4, 2011.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

Anyone know if this can be done if you don't have the switch in the glovebox?

I've looked on some of the dedicated Audi forums and google but can't find anything conclusive.... only that i should take it to my dealer. Have spoken with them and they reckon it would cost around 600 to have the switch fitted [:s]

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I assume your looking to be able to switch it on and off as required, rather than permenantly?

I would imagine it would be fairly simple to unplug it, and delete it via VAGCOM as permenant solution.

If the dealers say it`s possible to retro-fit a switch then perhaps it could be done with bits from a scrapper? Would still need VAGCOM I`d assume to set it up properly.

3. damogti Forum Junkie

I wondered this but i don't think its as simple as just fitting the switch. The controller for the airbags needs to know that the switch is there too....

might have to give this one up i think :(

4. damogti Forum Junkie

I'd found that audisport link previously.... unfortunately there is still no concrete information in there stating if its posible and what you need to do.

Those ross-tech links are useful, thanks! :thumbup:

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The high cost at the dealers is probably mostly labour, TBH.

If they have to start stripping parts of the dash/interior out to fit the switch/run wiring then re-building it all, then that`s where all the time, and hence cost, comes from.

Physically mounting the switch, and telling the controller it`s there are most likely the quickest/easiest parts of the job.