Discs warping....

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by samfish, Apr 29, 2011.

1. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

seems i am not the only one to have warped a set of 256mm brembo disc's, so any news on the floaters?
    as i am thinking of going to 280mm and am a little worried about warpping expensives disc's at that size.

2. ianb Forum Member

I've used 280mm on my car having changed from 256mm. My car currently runs OE plain Brembo discs with Greenstuffs. They work very well considering the material of the pads....I am surprised with these pads after this weekends outing and the Ford RS day at Combe and considering the cost of the pads...it was running Mintex extreme's before....more aggressive pedal feel but harder on the discs.

The VAG 280mm discs I found excellent.....I reckon the quality / manufacturing of the steel makes a difference as well. My brakes are very well used on track as many will know. The Brembo discs can sometimes vary in quality from past experience. The other thing of note was that I have found drilled discs can crack quicker with track use due to high heat. Been there before hence going back to plain discs. Porsche discs are forged and not drilled which weakens the disc.

These cryno treated discs sound promising although I tend to use VAG discs and these seem to last for ages??

3. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I sent the warped 280mm Brembo discs back to the supplier - and got a credit for them :thumbup:

About the get the other set machine flat again, hoping they will not warp again....

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just ordered a pair of 280mms from the VAG dealer - circa 50 a side though. Will give them a try and see whether they warp!

5. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Do you know what make they are Chris?
    The Brembo ones had hold around the outside of the centre 'bell' (not sure what to call it) to help ventilation to the vents through the disc. It would be perfect to aim a duct to the centre/rear as the air would spin out through the disc.... But it seemed to make it more prone to warping. Maybe it wouldn't with the ducting. Hmmm.

..here:

[​IMG]

After I think I tried 'Apec' which where solid in the middle - took a bit more hammering before distortion....

Hope you find some good ones :)

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Most causes of warped disks are sticking pistons, have you checked yet.

Also on your in lap are you cooling you brakes correctly

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Yeah, definitely no dragging or sticking.

And I don't touch the brakes once on my in-lap (also find this useful for learning entry speeds without needing the braking-point-reference) :) So they should be cooled as much as possible.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011