distortion

Discussion in 'ICE' started by waynos, Dec 2, 2003.

1. waynos Forum Member

i like to play my tunes loud and im finding that my rear 6x9s are distorting a little. i tried using capacitors as mentioned on the matey matey site but it isnt that effective. do i need to use crossovers? if so what type and where could i get them from.

thanks

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just turn it down.

3. waynos Forum Member

nah couldnt possibly :p it distorts at lower levels too but not as bad

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

If it distorts at low level something is seriously wrong.

check your wiring.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

What kind of distortion?

Could be wiring, could be head-unit, could be crap speakers, could be damaged speakers....

6. waynos Forum Member

its not like propa bad distortion. i jus feel that the rear speakers should be playing less bass cos thats what the subs are there for

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

you want a proper x-over then.

8. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

its proabably destorting cos its fighting with your sub, as they are playing in the same air space,

if they are running of your HU, what HU is it? as it may be putting out a distorted signal,

is it a copyied CD? cos some times the quality is poor on them so the sound quality is crap,

HTH

tim

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

The subs and 6x9's wont be causing distortion by using the same air space.

10. waynos Forum Member

where can i get a crossover from? and what type would i need because ive seen ones for a seperate woofer and tweeter but thats not what i have. the headunit is a pioneer p6900 with a minidisc running through aux input.im sure the head unit isnt at fault because the front speakers sound sweet as does the sub.

11. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

no but if the sub is moving enough air it could also be moving the 6x9's to their maximum reach, which can make for painful listening!

12. waynos Forum Member

yea i think your right, i hav two 12 inch sony p5 subs in the boot and they do move a lot of air!.i mite make a little guard or something to put around the 6x9s

13. mbh69 Forum Member

get rid of the 6x9's and put a decent set of components up front amp them well and most amps have a built in adjustable crossover in them which u can set to high pass

if keeping 6x9's get an amp and set the crossover on it but 6x9's are dated and low quality components will be much more pleasing to the ear loudness and quality

14. Madbloke Forum Member

Mars Red Dub ---- Its unlikley the subs are causing the 6x9's to distort -- you say you are running MD for Aux on headunit yes? Sometimes the level of volume on the mini disc + extra bass functions can cause the MD to give a bad signal to the headunit which in turn gives iffy sound. Make sure these facilities are off and MD vol is low (if similar to the old cd walkman set up).

also most 6x9s dont like much bass, near full vol will cause em to crack and distort quiet a lot. Make sure bass is set to zero or near enough on you HU if you have the loud function selected.

This is why components are better really but as you have 6x9 may as well try to solve prob.

15. waynos Forum Member

cool fanx for that.wish i never bought 6x9s now [:^(] suppoes ill have to live with it now.