Distributor/Hall sensor help needed 90 Mk2 GTi 8v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Berwboy, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Berwboy Forum Member

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My garage (via an auto electrician) told me the Hall sender/sensor has failed in my 1990 Golf Mk2 GTi 8v (Digifant, engine code PB, Bosch distributor). Engine has been randomly cutting out for a while but stopped completely the other day.
    I bought a new sender from VW Heritage but it doesn’t fit and needs a sender with screw holes drilled in the baseplate that attach through into the base of the distributor itself. Part no. on the original sender is 1230329055. Are there any alternatives?
    If I can’t get anywhere with that and have to go down the new distributor route, the VW part no. is 037905205F (Bosch no: Z415 0237520224). Again, don’t know if there any alternatives around.
    Hoping someone can help.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

etka doesnt list a hall sensor for the PB dizzy unfortunatly so its a case of try an ebay one and hope, or replace complete dizzy unit. I take it the wiring to it has been checked, peeled rubber boot back to make sure crimps good, continuity tested to ecu etc

Berwboy likes this.
  3. Berwboy Forum Member

I’m assuming all that was checked by the auto electrician. I’ve been searching under Hall sender/sensor but I’ve just found something that might do the job. It was listed on a website under camshaft sensor but the image looks like just what I’ve been looking for. I have my fingers crossed that it fits. I think the number I gave for the hall sender is the Bosch number, not the VW part no.
    What would be your suggestion for a replacement dizzy, if I need to go down that route, rubjonny?

4. rubjonny

get a good used or if you find one new bosch or vw distributor if you canty source a suitable hall sensor, 037905205, 037905205F, 037905205K or 037905237X

Berwboy likes this.
  5. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Berwboy likes this.
  6. rubjonny

I would only use genuine bosch, we have seen people use cheaper pattern distributors and loose power

Berwboy likes this.
  7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Can't argue with that, but it's just the price that amazes me. It's less than the cost of just a hall sender!

8. rubjonny

yep thats the first alarm bell eh :lol:

Berwboy likes this.
  9. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Bosch all the way for a distributor - don't bother with anything else as it's just ballache all the way.

Berwboy likes this.
  10. Berwboy Forum Member

I’d say Bosch all the way too, but I can’t find the blummin’ things! They don’t seem to have a UK based parts centre anymore (or do they?)

11. Berwboy Forum Member

If any of you could point me in the right direction for a Bosch Hall sender or distributor then I would be eternally grateful.

12. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Have you tried a VW dealer? About 10 years ago I paid £80 ish for a reman Bosch unit V037 905 237.

Berwboy likes this.
  13. costel1969

davkav and Berwboy like this.
  14. Berwboy Forum Member

How significant is the letter after the part number? My distributor is 037905205F and that one ^^^ is 037905205K. The only number on my hall sender is 1230329055, which I think is the Bosch number. The VW number, is think, is 052998065 but I can’t see it on the part itself. I haven’t tried a VW dealer yet but that could be on the cards. I’ve tried VW Classic Parts in Germany to no avail.

15. costel1969

I went into ETKA and that's the part number it's showing for a PB (Digifant) distributor, part numbers normally go through cycles and that letter get's revised upwards as this happens. On a second look, the part number is now actually 037905205X having replaced the "K". I'm pretty sure that the link I sent you is the one but best have RJ confirm that this will work for you.

I actually bought a Bosch distributor for my PB (haven't installed it yet because of COVID-19) and I got it from GSF (SKU No. 920VG0110) but they don't appear to have one at this time - you could call and ask what the chances are of getting another one into stock.

Berwboy likes this.
  16. rubjonny

as I said in my post earlier K is still correct for a PB distributor so it'll be fine, but $500 is way too much keep looking. tbh a good used one will be fine, they rarely fail

Berwboy likes this.
  17. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Berwboy likes this.
  18. Berwboy Forum Member

I’ve found a place in Basildon (Ignition Parts Direct) that will refurb my Bosch one, so I’m going to try that. They also sell Power Spark distributors that will fit, if all else fails.

costel1969 likes this.
  19. Berwboy Forum Member

Thanks all for your responses. It’s very easy to get downhearted when Dr Google doesn’t turn up the goods. Hopefully things are going in the right direction now.

20. Berwboy Forum Member

Finally got my car back from the garage. I went down the route of having the distributor rebuilt at Ignition Car Parts in Basildon, Essex (a process I would thoroughly recommend). It took just over a week and cost £90 all in. They did a great job considering it was so heavily pitted and corroded. They replaced the hall sender with one that looks like the one pictured.
    The original one had a baseplate that attached to the dizzy with four screws.
    Initial impressions are great. Idle is now rock solid at 900rpm, with none of the previous hunting or rising revs that would drop when you blipped the throttle.
    Pick-up is instant with little or no Digi-lag. I’m taking it on a longer run tomorrow so hopefully that goes well.
    The garage recommended a new coil, because my existing one has a split cap, and a new throttle cable, both of which I have managed to source.
    So thanks again to rubjonny and everyone else who contributed.

Attached Files:

costel1969 likes this.