DIY top mounts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by samfish, Feb 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Fray16v Forum Member

Danster what did you use to make your spacer's for the eccentric top mounts?

i'v got a lump of 6.5"dia ally round bar to make spacers for mine and was wondering what thickness would be best for std travel coilovers? 1" or 2"?

cheer guys:thumbup:

2. danster Forum Addict

Started with this sort of thing and just worked out all the required dimensions.....then just made em. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

I just made some spacers that suited the OD of the shock mounting and the ID of the top mount's spherical bearing. Dimensions to suit the two components.

It is hard to say what you need as there are so many variations of coilovers, some with shorter bodies and piston rods. It took me a fair bit of time working out what was required for my particular design.

3. Fray16v Forum Member

i'm not skilled enough to start fartin about making custom dampers as i'l just c**k it up so i'm looking to get spacers made like vini's mk1 just to keep the travel right on my fk highsport's as the car's going to be used as a daily and you know what the roads are like up here:lol: we need all the travel we can get.

4. danster Forum Addict

I should point out that although my top mounts are mounted on the top of the inner wing, they do however have a steel ring underneath that the mounting bolts go through to help spread the load. :thumbup:

5. Squible Forum Member

I've come across this problem also. I've ended up raising my turrets (at the rear to, due to running solid mounts here also). I'll be mounting them under the turrets and reinforcing the tops. Everything is also tied into the cage. Its getting there!

[​IMG]

Has anybody got any Compbrake top mounts they can measure the PCD of also? Mk1 or Mk2 btw! Thanks

6. Fray16v Forum Member

i'l go get the tape measure now back with it in a min.

about 142mm on mk2,

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. Squible Forum Member

Thank you very much! Thought they had sent me the wrong ones! 120mm! Claimed I should have ordered Mk1 ones! Got to love their customer service!

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Which one does the top spring cap of the strut mate up to - the top or the bottom plate? That's what'll govern the ride height. I haven't seen a set of Ground Control ones off the car, so I assume the spring cap meets the bottom plate.

9. benny Forum Member

It's nudging on the worst I've come across [:x]

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Nice, I think this is what I'll do too.

11. benny Forum Member

I'll just throw this in...

[​IMG]

I've had it as my desktop for a while now, I was going to chop up my Compbrake mounts andget some ally plates made to try and gain some more castor. Looking at the other pics in this thread, I don't think I'd gain a huge amount more than the Compbrakes already offer. Undecided now! [:s]

12. Plane Forum Member

I'll take a few pics and add them tomorrow.

I didn't know about these when I got my ground control ones but I seen them fitted on a MKII race car and they are excellent quality. The car they were fitted to hasn't been out with them yet but they are well made. As you say look a little fisher price in the picture but they are nice.

13. Admin Guest

Just posting some different designs that are out there, not all VAG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RyanMac Forum Member

I am making a cross between dansters and Vinis mk1. The spacer will mount to the top of the turret with the adjustable top mount on top. I am making the spacer 1" so hopefully it should not affect by much.

15. Fray16v Forum Member

Me to but i can't decide between an 1" or 2" i need to keep all the travel i can as the roads up here resemble a gravel rally stage.:lol:

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Im looking to get something like this sorted in the next month or two, so would be interested in getting involved if you make some. Or even a glimpse of your design :)

17. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Off to see my fabricator early next week to re-initialise my top mounts... will post up progress.

18. joshw Forum Member

FWIW, Subaru Impreza top mounts fit very easily if you cut off the 'cone' on the strut tower. Lots of good camber plates available for them too! Just need to make a reducer so the shock shaft fits the bearing :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  19. skywalker38 Forum Member

20. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Just to revive this.....

Maybe we can come together to design a top mount like the ground control ones and produce a shared laser-cutting file. Then we can all download it and have it made locally like some kind of perfect sharing utopia!

I think it is a good idea anyway. A mk1 and a mk2 version if there is a demand.
    My friend can produce the file for us (I am happy to buy him some whisky to keep him happy).

Surely we just need a design we can email to a laser-cutters and then get machined to take the bearing.

We should have a section on the forum for shared files like that :)
    A CAD file for the ultimate ball joint extender would also be nice - just take it to the local engineering firm.
    A CAD file for solid rack mounts, solid wishbone bushes etc etc.
    Change the face of group buys forever!
    There could be variants of the designs, that improve over time.

You get the idea. Any takers?