Do ABF blocks use a MAF sensor?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by ham&cheese, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ham&cheese Forum Member

Hi

I recenently sold the ABF out of my Mk3 to make room for a 24v. It's currently being installed in a Mk2 and the garage doing the work contacted me asking if I could get the MAF sensor out to them. Now, I've checked the part number that they gave me (037 906 461 - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=0...CADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1708&bih=801&dpr=0.8) and I don't recall coming across anything that looks even remotely like this when I removed the engine and all ancillaries... I kept everything together in crates and labelled the whole lot up, yet this thing is nowhere to be found.

After doing some research, I came across some info that suggested the ABF doesn't use a MAF sensor, but instead uses two O2 sensors (in the cat and air intake sensor on the intake pipe) to control the fuelling. This makes a lot of sense considering there's a bleed nipple at the top of the inlet manifold with a small hose leading directly into the ECU, but can anyone confirm this?

I know for certain I didn't remove any sensor which looks like the one in the link above, but also know that this garage is usually pretty spot on with their knowledge of anything VW related, so I'm a little conflicted right now.

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

ABF uses a MAP sensor inside the ECU. Needs a vacuum hose between intake manifold and ECU.

No MAF.

The sensor in the pipe next to airbox is IAT intake air temp.

ham&cheese likes this.
  3. ham&cheese Forum Member

This is what I was beginning to suspect. Thanks for your quick reply!

4. ham&cheese Forum Member

Forgot to update this:

I received a call from the guys at the garage, apologising for the mix up - they got confused because of the old Mk2 loom. All sorted now, which is good as I want to commision said garage to do the 24v install in my Mk3, haha.

Thanks again.