Door locks & ignition barrel Question

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by NicD, Nov 7, 2003.

1. NicD Forum Member

Hi all,

When i bought my car it came with a set of mk2 locks, ignition barrel & rear tailgate lock. As they were free i took them but i was told they do fit a mark 1, is this true? As i'd like to replace my worn door key and seperate ignition barrel key with one. If not they're up for sale to anyone wants a full lock and ignition barrel set :)

Thanks,

Nic

2. Drew21 Forum Member

I can't help with your question but I'd be interested in the locks if you want shot of them[:D]

3. NicD Forum Member

Ok Drew if i can't find out an answer your welcome to make a bid for them, how much you offering :)

4. ManicGTI Forum Member

this is an interesting question, I would love to know the answer to as my mk1 only has one key and the boot lock doesnt work and so i need a full lock set if i wanna one key. if mk2 lock sets work that'd be sweet, so many more of em around!

5. jamesd Forum Member

Did all MK2's come with 2 keys? 1 for the ign and another for the doors? I dont have a key for the boot of my Mk2 and I want to change the locks and use 1 key if possible for everything.

6. NicD Forum Member

James the kit i have at home all work of the same key as far as i can tell so you can get them.

7. VR6Dub

VR6Dub New Member

Both my mk2s came with only 1 key to operate everything.

8. squibby Forum Member

Sorry, can't help, have another question for anyone on this subject though, would the door handles off of a mk1 fit onto a mk2? Or even the door handles off of a polo or other VW fit onto a mk2? its a replacement for a broken back door handle on a 4 door Jetta. I mean the passenger doors by back door, not the boot [:?:]
    Edited by: Squib

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

pretty sure they will fit mate not 100% but pretty sure they do

the steering column and ignition barrel holder on a mk1 is the same as the mk2 (i know this because the early mk2 Ereg had the same as the mk 1 mk1 indicator stalks etc, so i swapped em on mine for the later mk2 ones

alot thicker and just better imo, i dunno about the doors tho, but defo the ignition barrel

if you need any help fitting te ignition barrel give me a shout