Door sag

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Davo, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Davo New Member

Hi guys. I'm new to these great forums, this is my first post!

A friend and Ihave just bought a Mk1 Golf 2 door. The drivers door is sagging slightly and it knocks against the B pillar, without closing properly.

How can the door be adjusted? Help appreciated, thanks guys
    Edited by: Davo

2. Davo New Member

Anyone?

*bump*

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

either the hinges or the pins are bent. there is a trick you can do to bend them back (as opposed to replacing them), but i can't remember what is is. sorry.

4. alby Forum Junkie

put a block of wood under the corner of the door and jack it up a little bit.keep going until the door closes properly.
    Edited by: alby

5. alby Forum Junkie

or there is a trick with putting a wheels bolt in the hinge but i'm not entirely sure how that works.it may also apply to mk2's but i'm sure someone will clarify this.

6. mk2driva Forum Member

yup there is a trick where you put wheel bolts in the hinge and close the door slowly and the bolt will bend the hinge up until it is level. if you've got the same problem as me where you need a new hinge pin in the door, lets us know how you get it out cause thats whats wrong with mine

7. mk2driva Forum Member

P.S for clarification look at the old forum there were quite a few post on how to do it if i recall rightly

8. Davo New Member

Thanks guys, jacking up the door worked quite well. The door closes better now, but still doesn't feel right. I'll have a look at the old forum.

9. fionn Forum Member

I've read all the different tricks & they're a waste of time in my opinion.
    I think the jack under the door trick is dangerous & liable to damage the door.

My drivers door was very bad, I fixed it last night and its now like new.
    My fix only works if the door is sagging but without play in the hinges.

1. Take off the door
    2. Examine the hinges, you'll notice that the tab for the lower hinge is bent back slightly more towards the front of the car than the upper hinge. This is the cause of the misalignment.
    3. Fit an adjustable spanner, stilsen or Vice Grips to the tab.
    4. Use a scaffold pipe or such to give you extra leverage (you dont really need the leverage but it lets you be a lot more controlled).
    5. Bring the tab back towards the rear of the car. Its only a small amount, probably about 5 degrees for a badly sagging door. You'll just feel it give a little.
    6. Check to ensure that the two hinge tabs are now at the same angle.
    7. Re hang your door & tighten the studs well, not forgetting to re-attach the check strap.
    8. Admire your perfect door!

Thats pretty much it, not sure how to cure loose hinge pins since I didnt have that problem.