downloadin music

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt G, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Matt G Forum Member

Where's the best place to get it from?

I buy the stuff I'm going to mix on vinyl, so i might aswell just donload the rest. Dont fancy paying for them though.

2. brina Forum Member

i download all my music off torrentbox.com

3. 0420Dubber Forum Member

I use newsgroups. ;)

4. Matt G Forum Member

are they free to subscribe to?

5. 0420Dubber Forum Member

The newgroups can be free. It depends on how good your ISP is. Virgin media is not to bad and has most of the main groups. For the groups that your ISP does'nt hold you can subscribe to a premium provider. I use Thundernews. I have the 15 GB package for 4.25 a month, Pretty reasonable if you ask me for what you get. ;)

6. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

mixesdb.com
    loads of erm...mixes:lol:

7. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Seriously DON'T use things like Limewire, I used to do and I used to trust them, until my pc was totally destroyed by a virus - the guys in the shop had to practically make my computer new again, lost all my files, photos, memories... and he said the virus was one that attacks music files, which in turn attacks the things they play on (like WMP, Winamp, even MSN as the music you're playing appears in the 'private message' bit), the files they're contained in, etc. etc., and he said its 99.9% certain that it came from a music downloader such as Limewire. He also said it's pretty much a dead cert that these viruses are being put on by big music companies because of the nature of the virus and also obviously because music companies are losing out on money through illegal downloads... not like they need it :lol: but still... that's my story, so beware!

Itunes all the way, songs are relatively cheap tbh, and no chance of any nasties getting onto your pc.

(Also, i'm at college now so can't find the exact link but if you go on youtube there's a video that shows a perfectly legal way to download music for free using google, I tried it and it worked but that was a while ago now. Still worth a try :thumbup:)

8. rallyeluke Forum Member

lime wire or bit torrent are the way forward!

get yourself a tidy firewall and anti virus software while your at it.

i use zone alarm myself

9. andy198712 Forum Member

utorrent

10. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

utorrent here, might look into the newsgroup idea though, shall do some investigating methinks.

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Utorrent

12. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

13. dan0964 Forum Member

btw, for the google trick, its :

http://www.google.com/search?q=-inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:"index of" +"last modified" +"parent directory" +description +size +(wma|mp3) "NAME"

and just replace the NAME with the name of the song you want.
    I guess thats the trick you was on about :/

i use uTorrent to download my music, got 25,000 ish MP3's thats about 190 GB of music and never had any problems with virus's, maybe it because im a computer technician.

http://thepiratebay.org/

best place for torrents

14. Olly_P Forum Member

Downloading music from torrent sites like 'the pirate pay' and 'Torrent Spy' is very dogie at the moment. They are open tracker sites, so everyone can use them. This makes them targets for the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) and the BPI (British Phonographic Industry). They are currently taking legal action against many of these sites, including 'torrent spy' and 'the pirate bay'. This means that they will be monitoring site traffic and logging IP addresses. I recently did my dissertation on 'digital music', as part of this i looked at music piracy. The amount of people that are successfully prosecuted each year is surprisingly high and rising all the time. Since Jan 2006 a Landmark court case rule file sharers liable. As a result of this a Norfolk man was ordered to make a 5000 ‘down payment’, while 51 others are urged to make settlements to avoid similarly costly court actions in the first month alone.

I use to use a wicked closed user torrent site called Oink, it was recently shut down. The guy who ran it was arrested and all of his computers ceased. One of my friends helped run the site and he said that many of the users who uploaded and downloaded pre-release material will more than likely be prosecuted :-/ I now use what.cd which is pretty good, lol! So, if you want to download music its best to use closed user sites, and be careful what you download. Downloading pre-release music often will result in trouble!

As for peer to peer sites like lime wire, most stuff is either a virus, spy ware or add ware. The site is not really moderated so uploads are never checked. This results in b******s uploading all sorts of crap! Its best to steer well clear, good AV and Fire wall or not! To be honest i buy a lot of my music from www.beatport.com now, this is just because i need good quality tracks as i DJ with them. Check out some of my mixes if you can be arsed:-) http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=156cbb137ff7d1f0553f25e4baef9c64fad6f04cc7314c8c (Nothing like a bit of self promotion, lol!)

Yea, i use this too, top torrent site for downloading mixes!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  15. tarmacterror Forum Member

rip oink it was da bizness.wont be long till somethin takes its place,i use EASYNEWS its one of the newsgroups,or torrent sites with utorrent..

16. Seraph Banned

Does 'back up' disc ring any bells!;)

I hear they can fit 8G+ on a single disc now!

17. Miss Psyclodia

Miss Psyclodia Forum Junkie

Soulseek is amazing if you love underground and bootleg stuff

18. Olly_P Forum Member

Yea, gutted when it got closed down!!! I use What.CD atm, pretty much like oink, haven't got any invites atm though.

As for Soulseek, i use to use that ages and ages ago. Always found that the tracks i got from, after waiting ages for them to download, had awful bitrates, should find a good torrent site!

19. Matt G Forum Member

i was gunna download to mi laptop then transfer to plug in memory.