Dremels and dremel type tools

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by luke w, Jan 25, 2012.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I looking at investing in a Dremel type tool, the question is, is Dremel the best to go for? I've had really cheap ones before that were useless, but are there any makes that perform better than Dremels?

Also, there are different models, is there much difference between them?

2. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Good question, I'd like to see peoples views too.

I've had a number of cheap ones, which have performed well but didn't last.

I've also had two dremels, and both of these have failed too.
    Maybe I've been working them too hard.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have had 2 Dremel 800 units (variable speed cordless). The first one worked well until the motor coupling gave up after very heavy use. Rplaced under warrently with another which als0 failed after heavy use.

Found an OE repair kit for ~13 to repair.

In fact there are parts to repair most of the unit if they fail.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a Dremmel and various bits and never had a problem with it - but it's not over worked. A good quality product.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

anything from a good known make should do you, i love my dremel its saved me so many times

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Looks like Dremel it is then

Toyotec - Whats the battery life span on the cordless ones like? Living in a flat away from the car a cordless one could be very handy.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I bought the B&Q version because it had a higher powered motor, and more accessories, for a lower price. I've blown up two of them (one replaced under warranty, the other out of warranty) doing stuff like porting manifolds. Both times there was a 'pop' as I switched it on and from then it was dead. Tried the obvious stuff like replacing the fuse in the plug, but not tried bridging out the switch or anything internal.

Not sure I'd recommend them...

Aldi / Lidl occasionally do one for 20 ish, with a 3 year warranty. There are different versions though, so make sure you get one with a decent power output.

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Which one did you lend me when we did the throttle in the Ankor?

Which ever one worked quite well actually...

9. benny Forum Member

I bought one of these for 16 quid about a year ago after my dremel packed up (Didn't even think of trying to repair it!)(Think I've lobbed it now [:^(])

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-79340-230-Volt-Multitool-Accessories/dp/B000ELJ0HY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327516747&sr=8-1

The Draper one was notably rubbish straight out of the box, but for the sake of 16 quid, just passable!. It then developed hesitation under load as though thermally cutting out, switch it off & back on usually did the trick until last night when it had zero torque! In desperation, I filled it with WD40 and it works better than ever now! Still don't really trust it though!

Top tip! > Get bored of forever changing the little cutting discs? Simply put two or three together - less chance of them busting if you so much as fart on them :thumbup: I also sandwich them with some little machine washers to keep them rigid ;)

Anyone found a good source for alternative brand cut off wheels etc? Dremel 426B are my fave - just expensive [:^(]

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

That was the 2nd B&Q one... It was great till it blew up... I think you overworked it with your high speed porting activities ;)

I buy the LIDL/ALDI versions whenever they're available. Cheap as, and seem to work ok. They don't have the new style Dremel fastening system though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. benny Forum Member

Ta, will check 'em out!

12. rallye1.8t Forum Member

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

If you have an air supply, they are much better.

Search for pencil grinders :thumbup: They are really nice to use, easy to control, and about the size of a permanent marker. I used one for 4 hours yesterday [8(]

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

PS:
    Those big electric 'die grinders' are a nightmare I find. Somebody I work for spent 250 on one and it is so awkward to use - although very powerful. It is so heavy and imprecise, with no speed control.