Dropping a Mk1

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by AndyCEB, Dec 2, 2003.

1. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Hi, this may seem like abit of a basic question but I thought it best to ask it like this so get fuller picture.

I have a Mk1 Golf 'c' its a 1.1 (i know! [:^(] ) but insurance etc limits it for time being.

What I want to do is lower the car for better handling and looks, I have seen one Mk1 which i liked it had 15" wheels and was lowered so there was just abit of arch space.

I understand the Gti is 20mm lower than mine anyway and have also heard lowering that by anymore than 40mm (total 60mm on standard golf) makes the ride really bad?

Has anyone got any ideas of what I should do and what kits to go for? I have seen some kits come with bumpstops etc which other bits like this will I need as well as the damper and spring?

Thanks for any advice, ps, I dont really want to break the bank with this either [:D]

Thanks again

2. jamez Forum Member

if it is a simple matter of whanting to lower the car from its standard height wilst retaining the 1.1. motor you could try fitting second hand compleate suspension from a scrappie thats in a not to bad condition.there will be wear on the struts and the springs will have lost a bit of their strength but the were designed to cope with the stress and weight of the gti mk1, plus being trown around corners, but this is not an issue with a 1.1. and this will lower the car and be a direct fit.there is a number of kits available of varying quality and drop, but these will still cost a few quid.scrappie under 50 quid???? i did this once and was not a bad result..........