DTA S60 Big turbo Mk2 cold start help

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by ben mk2, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ben mk2 Forum Member

Hello!

First of all I'd like to thank Sparrow and Toyotec for the help getting this in and running. The MS guide was a huge help!

So I've got this in and working, it's a 1.8t AGU with S60 ecu and standard injectors (for now). I've had the car running and driving (off boost) fine. Now the weather has got a little colder it won't start. Every so often it'll just catch, run really rough and cutout. I've been through all the basics and I'm stumped. I'd like to get it running so I can check all the basics before I go to EFI parts for mapping.

I've adjusted the main fueling map up and down in 5% increments. I've tried it with the temp sensor disconnected. I seem to be flooding the engine. Each time I pull the plugs they are soaking wet. Cleaning them up, adding a little oil to restore compression. Still no joy. I've had a little look at the cold start map and tried adjustments from there with the same result, every so often it'll just catch then die. I'm using a base map that Sparrow (Alex DTA) has sent me. I did have issues initially as the map was setup for external amp coils but I'm using standard agu coils without the amp. This did cause the ecu to get VERY HOT!!! I've pulled the plugs and coils and they are all still sparking fine and I've adjusted the setting accordingly.

Can anyone help? I don't want to watse time when it comes to mapping sorting what could be something simple. It's been very cold and damp where I'm based. Coolant temp sensor is almost always a negative value.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beetie likes this.
  2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Leave the main fuel map where it is, if it's driving fine.

The only things to look at are your temperature sensor (make sure that's scaled correctly) and your start fuelling map.

During cranking, the ECU looks at the start fuel map, and increases the amount of fuel being injected based on the temperature seen from the coolant sensor.
    It will also use the compensations from the coolant temp sensor.

If it's wetting the plugs, you either have too much coolant temp compensation, or too much additional fuel in the start up map for the current temperature.

Start by reducing the amount of fuel in the start fuel map.
    I'd also put a fresh set of plugs in.

ben mk2 and Toyotec like this.
  3. ben mk2 Forum Member

I'll give that a try! Cheers :-)

4. ben mk2 Forum Member

So I've just been mooching about the software and thought I'd try scaling the information for my map sensor. I'm using the output from my AEM failsafe boost/AFR gauge. I found a table with the info [​IMG]

But I can't work out how to enter the data as the dta software needs more figures than the aem table has. I can't enter zero figures so I'm guessing it needs interpolating somehow?

I've tried this but I'm not really happy with it!

[​IMG]

5. ben mk2 Forum Member

Sussed it now! Was using column instead of row. I'll leave this here as it might help someone else one day!

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Glad you're sorted. You may as well enter the AFR values as well, and connect that up. Then you can log on the ECU to see what's happening.

7. ben mk2 Forum Member

Well it's running now! Put all the AFR and boost info in as well. Interestingly the injectors seem very noisy, thought for a minute something in the top was knocking but traced it to the injectors.

I need to do a short journey to my exhaust guy tomorrow then I'll just trailer it to the mapper. I'm probably just gonna end up breaking something!!!

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Keep us in the loop with developments!

9. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Keep the posts and pics coming :thumbup:

10. ben mk2 Forum Member

No pics today but deka 630's are in and she's booked in for mapping a week today! Been playing a bit and slowly adding fuel and boost. Not gonna do too much as it'll all be overwritten on Saturday. One strange thing is the rev counter. The reading in the dta software is fine but the dash is all over the place. Sometimes it fine, others it's reading over or under. I'm using the tach adapter I had when I was still running standard management so I'm guessing that's where the fault lies. Will try and have a look this weekend. Very excited to finally have it mapped right, previously had an ihi vf34 and that wasn't setup properly. Been a good two and a bit years to get to this point!