Dunlop DO1J track tyres...

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by chrismc, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

These are road legal semi slicks...

Any one know of an on-line supplier who can quote on them???

Cheers.. ;)

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

3. GVK

Can buy Yokos here http://www.bookatrack.com buy a tyre link...

YokohamaAdvan Neova (LTS)195 X 50 R15 V94.00&nbsp ;; Price includes delivery only or free mobile fitting at any BaT event
    YokohamaA048R&nbsp ;; 195 X 50 R15 V104.00&nbs p; Price includes delivery only or free mobile fitting at any BaT event
    YokohamaA038R (SS)195 X 50 R15 V105.00&nbs p; Price includes delivery only or free mobile fitting at any BaT event
    YokohamaA038R (LTS)195 X 50 R15 V105.00

You could buy 1.5 set of old Clio cup slicks for the price of 1 tyre. :lol:

4. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

how long do the clio cup slicks last you gary-i assume they are reasonably worn when you get them?

5. GVK

After this weekend (weather permitting) they would have done 3 full track track days.

TBH, they don't look any different to the day I fitted them.

Chris is local to Castle Combe and they don't allow full slicks at a lot of their track days, that's the only reason I can see for not wanting to use 'proper' slicks.

6. iguana Forum Member

Gary its also the changeing wheels at least twice that is a pain with slicks i.e drive there on roads- change & change at the end etc, whereas with road legals you just drive to track & home again.

Some Porsche guys did did some testing with decnet Mich slicks (i.e not the old things we run! ;) ) vs Mich Pilot cup sports= road legals- & the slicks were only 1 sec quicker round Oulton! (yes I was suprised too) & you can't fit a spare set of 18" wheels in the back for a trackday in a 911 like us in our old shopping cars that we track ;) so they were happy to loose the 1 sec! for the sake of car on trailer, estate car to fit the wheels in, jacks etc etc :p

Oh Toyo888s are cheaper than the dunlops by quite a margin like 40 per tyre & a better size for 15 inch too (don't think they do a 195/50/15 in Dunlops) seem to perform well from the reports ive heard anyway- I tracked an M3 on 'em on sat & it gripped ok, it was very very cold tho.

I've got a set of 6 Mich Pilot sport cups I'd flog on if interested- for slightly cheaper than the 132 each price when new!!

7. GVK

It's just like being at work for me :lol:

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have run clio cup tyres and, when warm, they are spectacular - best tyres I have ever run and at 60 a set an absolute bargain - mine had virtually no wear on them. Will be dodgy this weather though as I doubt they will ever warm up.

Yes you can get road-legal track tyres - I have had Kumho V700's in various compounds - and although better than road tyres, are no were near as good as slicks on my car - and cost 400 a set ! Would be better than slicks this weather though.

If you dont mind changing tyres, the slicks are a bargain - but IMO not always the tyre of choice - I wouldnot want to go to cadwell for eg when its <5C - better with some inters which may at least get warm.

You need at least 3 sets ideally [:s]

Rob

9. GVK

Yep, that's the problem I'm faced with Rob, I've only got the slicks and my regular road tyres, which I'll use if it's mega cold/damp.

I'm yet to use my slicks on a warm day :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I wouldn`t fancy driving 100+ miles on a set of semi slicks just for the sake of changing a few wheels over!

11. iguana Forum Member

Mich cups are standard fitment on M3 CSL!

The Dunlops etc are ok on road even in the wet as when new they have very deep tread, the Mich however are only 5mm when new! BMW dont advise use of the cups in the winter! Doh!

GVK I have 3 sets of wheels that come with on track days at the mo ;)

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I keep meaning to buy a set of the Michelin wet weather clio cup tyres for our weather...

13. GVK

You want to get a gearbox/clutch that can stand the wrath- of- Tub 1st :p

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Sods law, if you use semi-slicks, it will rain on the way home! :)

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

Cheers for all the info chaps... ;)

Are Clio cup slicks readily available?? I am tempted to go for slicks, but am slightly put off as my local circuit Castle Coombe doesnt permit there use on track days... [:^(]

Hence I thought D01Js' or perhaps Yoko A048Rs' would be a half decent compromise.. :)

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Both are good tyres, dont get me wrong, and actually for typical UK weather IMO are overall a better bet than full slicks - but they are so damn expensive

Partly worn slicks can be got hold of so cheaply in comparison.

Are picking up some slicks in a couple weeks with a few grooves hand cut in them - should heat up quicker than the clio tyres and will still be cheap

Clio wets wont last 5 mins unless it is really wet - a drying track will destroy them in 10-20 laps - the clio cup race boys hold onto their worn wets and use them as inters for a drying/cold race - they never come available second hand.

Of course you could buy new clio wets and have them buffed to 2-3mm (150 apiece) and they may last you one trackday.........may as well buy road-legal inters

Rob

18. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Rob - i can get the Clio wets for 25 -> 30 a corner in good condition.

Going back to Toyo R888's - I've heard that they are still a very competent road tyre in the wet - not an Eagle F1, but as good as average road tyres. I'd like to know how long they would last on road use....
    Edited by: Tubthumped

19. barny Forum Member

My colways are at least 3 years old now, i keep trying to kill them off but they wont damn well die. I have used them extensively on road for many months and in the wet too. They are surprising grippy in the wet, considering the tread pattern doesnt have grooves that can channel water away, my only problem is that some dozy twit orderd the wrong size!

It always amuses me watching the video of me hauling in an RS6 at a very wet combe, then proceede to undertake him through quarry!

And they make a wicked noise on rolling roads .....

i think i'm up to four sets of wheels now, kinda lost count!
    Edited by: barny

20. GVK

Wicked? Deafening more like
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [:[] [><]