Early PB Setting Up and Tuning

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk3 Man, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mk3 Man Forum Member

hi peeps, how do i set up fuelling on my early mk2 gti PB lump? Its currently running a 1.9 bottom end, ported port matched head, 4 branch and a lairy 288 newman cam, but the car pulls harder on part throttle than on full, and im guessing thats due to lack of fuelling etc? is this possible?

and if so, how do i increase fuel pressure, and make more fuel enter the engine? Will adjusting the metering head bit do this? i've heard of advancing the head 3 - 5 clicks? and squeezing the pressure reg in a vice to increase spring tension?

Also, obv its best to set the car on whilst live, i.e on a rolling road, but can the PB ecu be chipped, or is it all manual adjustment?

Also.............it doesnt start very well at all from cold, is this due to the cams, or can it be dues to cold start switch thing etc?? basically it always used to be good but this new engine is pants! Where is the cold start ecu plug on an early pb? as mine does not run the blue switch on the water flange from head, it runs a single wire sender and a 2 pin switch, is this the one??

And yet another prob...............the water guage in the clocks does not work? where does this get its signal from? could be a broken wire or is it likely to be dodgy clocks?? And my heater is ****.........how do i bleed the matrix or do i need to adjust the gear on the end of the cable??? cheers

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd say you need more fuel to start with. Higher fuel pressure is probably the best way to do this. An adjustable regulator, or a higher pressure one from another car, would be good options. I think there's a Porsche 944 one you can use, but I'm not 100% sure which one.

Slackening off the spring in the AFM can help it run a bit richer, but with that cam it probably isn't enough.

You can get chips for Digifant ECUs, but some of them don't seem to be much good. Have a search on the forum to find out your options on that one.

The water temp gauge gets its signal from the black sender in the housing on the front of the head. More likely to be the sender or the wiring than the clocks, I'd say.

3. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Even if you do get a little bit more fuel in the engine what control will you have over the other factors that will arise like ignition timing ,afr mixture, inlet temps...The issues can go on, what you really need to do is get this car set up on a rolling road, You'll never get it right by EAR.

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Read rubjonny`s FAQ on the best way to set up a Digifant.

Click me.

Also try using the search function. Most of your queries have been covered loads of times. :thumbup: