Earth Points

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Richard Mk2, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive putting my PB 1.8 8v lump into my Driver and today will be linking up all the earths.

I don't want to fry the Ecu so i need to make sure that i put all the earths in the correct places. I know the big one from the battery goes to the gearbox, but im unsure where the rest of them are and where they go to?

Any help would be much appreciated. [:D]

Cheers :thumbup:

*Edit -

Not to worrie... Just done a quick search on here. Looks like there is one which goes from the bulkhead area to the top of the cylinder head, and one on side of the bonnet...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

and theres one that joins to the water flange at the side of the head that gets messed up,i cut that one on my mates car and put it with the rest on the rocker cover,iirc its a brown/white wire

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there should be 2 earth wires to the side of the head, brown/white as above and iirc a brown. doesnt really matter where they go, side of rocker cover or double stud on the water flange, just as long as they're connecrted. if not the car wont run, wont actually damage anything though.

Its the gearbox earth you need to worry about, it should run from battery -ve to the stud on the battery tray to the gearbox. the early ones ran to a stud on the upper metal gearbox mount arm, later ones ran to a stud on the end of the rear engine->gearbox mounting bolt.
    If you only have the early type to hand run another wire from there to the rear mount bolt. I went a step further on my GTI, I binned the crappy MK2 cabling altogether and fitted MK3 Golf +ve wire and a later Passat -ve (becasue the MK3 -ve wont reach the battery tray) Much better battery clamp design and thicker cabling :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

Cheers Rubjonny... :thumbup: Forgot i posted this thread... [:s]

5. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hi Richard mk2, you have pm :)

6. Richard Mk2

And you matey :thumbup: