Electric windows switch

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Admin, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Admin Guest

on my mk2 golf the electric window switch seems to jam sometimes and because the power to the electric windows is on all the time, even with ignition off, this can drain the battery over night!

when the switch is pressed to put the window up even when the window is completely closed, the switch still trys to push the window up further [:x]
    if that happens, when trying to open the window, it takes ages! as it seems to jam or something.

any suggestions?
    (don't think this was a factory fit, as the switches are not located in the centre console. they are also the proper mk2 switches)

cheers

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

You could open the switch up carefully and spray some switch cleaner in there.

BTW, old rover 200 series switches are exactly the same as VW ones, and there are loads of them at breakers yards, cos they are rusty and poo.

Should only cost a couple of quid for one.

3. Admin Guest

nice 1, cheers harry!

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

5. Admin Guest

just thinking, do you think the switch will be causing all the probs? or could it be bad wiring? should the switch not cut off when it reaches the max ( when window is closed) so it doesn't still push the window further up

cheers

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

MK2 windows are not load sensing so they don't automatically stop.

You could pull the switch out and get a test lamp or multimeter on the switch or wiring. If you have 12v on the output wire when you aren't pressing the switch, then its f**ked.

BTW, is it just one window or both? If its one, then swap the switches over and see what happens.
    If its both, then it could be weird wiring. Does the car have an aftermarket window closure module fitted?

7. Admin Guest

well one only works just now [:$] need to get the other window fixed when i get a new door for that side soon. i swaped the switches around but made no difference, i could't tell you about the closure module, was already on car when i bought it [:s]

cheers

8. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I see. Well if you swapped the switches over and it was the same. then either you have two buggered switches (unlikely) or you deffo have dodgy wiring or motor.

Looks like your gonna have to get more involved [:^(]

I would test the motor on its own, by wiring it directly to the battery with some spare wire.

If its not factory fit, then it should be a real simple system that doesn't run through any relays etc.

You'll just have to follow the wires back to see if there are any extra modules in the circuit that could be faulty.

9. Admin Guest

lol dodgy motor, it seemed fine when i was buying it, bit of paint work needed and that but ok ;)

thanks again for the help harry! will trace the wires back after i check the motor etc.