Electrical help please!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Clarkey231, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Clarkey231 New Member

I posted a few days ago ref an issue with my car.
    The indicators were just shining on the dash but not blinking. Been doing this off and on for ages. Checked fuse/ relay so ordered new stalk. Still the same. Disconnected the fuse box and noticed drips so read about issue. Cleaned out fuse box, doused in WD40 and indicators work. But blower, fogs, demister and wipers don’t. Did more reading and x-over relay pops up. Changed out for spare and still the same. The horn works and x-over relay clicks so assume good. I guess the last thing is the wiper stalk it’s self?

Any other ideas?

cheers from a very frustrated Dave!

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Dave have you used electrical contact cleaner on the fuseboard? If you haven't then I would recommend you do. WD40 may not cut it if there is corrosion messing up the the relay and or fuse connections.

3. Clarkey231 New Member

I didn’t however I’ve just installed a known good second hand fuse box and it’s the same. The blower works if fed 12v direct. Could the resistor pack of coincidentally blown to? It was a little suspect and as dash is off I may as well get one.

4. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Might be a silly question but is there a fuse after popping on the circuit?

5. Clarkey231 New Member

Yes all fuses are good. Only other thing that happened which was my cock up was that one of connections on the back of the fuse box I put on when I don’t think it was on before. This made the light switch act like the ignition switch. I never started the engine so no current was drawn and I removed the connection and all was back to normal. I can’t remember if this was before or after I noticed no fan, wipers etc.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do the headlights work properly? if so, ignition switch is ok.

as you say the 17/18/100 x-relay in slot 8 powers the wipers, blowers, rear screen heater and a few other things. if it clicks this means the trigger from the ignition switch is getting there at least. next test try switching the ignition and wipers on, give the relay a good wiggle in the socket they can be a little loose. if still nothing get a bit of wire and jump the 2 large terminals in the socket together. it could be you're unlucky with fuseboxes I guess :lol:

7. Clarkey231 New Member

Awesome thanks I’ll try this tomorrow and report back.

8. Clarkey231 New Member

Yes the headlights work fine.

9. Clarkey231 New Member

ok I’ve tried what you suggested. No different. The horn works either with relay (which clicks) or with the relay removed. That’s sort of confused me even more!

I really don’t think it’s the fuse box. Looks very clean, no water staining or anything. When you say relay 18 in slot 8, it’s in the 4th slot top row from the left.

Am I right in thinking I literally can’t mess the plugs up on the back of the fuse box cos they can only go in one slot because of the nibs on the bottom of the plugs?

10. Clarkey231 New Member

The horn is making the right hand ( as you look at fuse box) 53 relay click when operated. With relay removed horn does not work. That’s slot 11 bottom row 5th from left.

11. Clarkey231 New Member

12. Clarkey231 New Member

13. rubjonny

ah its a CE2 fusebox, so yeah its in slot 4 on those (and wont fit anywhere else) for some reason I thought it was a CE1

if the horn works that suggests the x-relay is fine as the horns are powered by an X feed, but shouldn't work if the horn relay in slot 11 is removed so that suggests some bodgery at the stalks. if you select intermittent wipers, do you hear wiper relay 19 click every now and again? with the blowers, check for voltage at the black/red wire

14. Clarkey231 New Member

I went and tried the wire jumper again and it worked! I really had to jam it in. The relay I have to press down from the top in a really extreme way to make the contacts actually connect.

PHEW thought I was going mad!
    Thanks so much for the help.

15. Clarkey231 New Member

That reply has gone onto your reply.

sorted! Thanks so much.

16. rubjonny

magically it has fixed itself ;)

seems like your fusebox wants replacing then, you could try opening it up and giving the terminals a squeeze but tbh there are so many ce2 fuseboxes on ebay I wouldnt bother. mk3 golf is the same plus also caddy and t4 up to 99ish and all kinds of others

17. Clarkey231 New Member

i put a gentle twist on each spade of the relay and she’s home and tight. I don’t think I need a fuse box cos even my original which had slight water ingress was fine once flushed. It was the secondary issue of the relay not contacting even though pushed home that caused my other probs. I’ve now got two fuse boxes that work. I wish I’d thought of jumper wire though, simple test so thankyou very much for that, proved the stuff worked so had to be relay area problem.
    All good learning though and at least I can see my dash area is sound and all that foam is removed.

gonna do the heater box flaps while it’s all out.

18. rubjonny

good news its all sorted then :)