engine cleaning+bay and flu

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Rahul, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Rahul Forum Junkie

right, despite feeling sh1te with the flu i amcleaningmy engine in a minute.

Now , i am going to use the following.

steam cleaner(engine bay)
    gunk
    paraffin
    white spirit
    wet n dry
    primer
    paint(hammerite smooth)

now obviously i am going to cover the electrics and use the steam cleaner intelligently, but has anyone any other suggestions.

cheers

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

A brush to get at awkward corners etc. and leave for ten mins before attacking with steam cleaner.I cleaned the wifes Corsa with a steam cleaner once and burst the sump gasket!!!!

3. Dave J Forum Member

I am going to be attacking my engine bay with the steam cleaner tomorrow! The engine is out so I have plenty of room to get at everything. I have bagged up most of the electrics. Should be fun.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

TBH I would have it professionally steam cleaned first - drive it down there, let it cool a bit. Cover liberally with gunk and slip the guy an extra fiver to to an extra good job. Their machines are super-powerful and will clean off stuff your domestic machine won't touch. Then you can drive it home and do the detailing.... I had mine done today, and it looks amazing - even the gearbox is shiny aluminium again! Mind you, I was standing beside him going "You missed a bit mate" and "make sure you get that fucking gearbox clean".....

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

LOL @ TSC!! I bet he enjoyed your company!

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I had a machete in the passenger seat (delivering it to a mate!) so he didn't complain one bit! Did a top job too......