Engine cutting out, bay air temp too high?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by c3peteo, Sep 15, 2015.

1. c3peteo Forum Member

Hi, I have had a set of bike carbs on my kr for the last month or so. When I'm stationary in traffic for more than a few minutes on occasion the engine will stall. It starts back up again with a bit of accelerator.

Before the carbs were fitted the air used to reach the engine via the air box behind the offside headlight. Now the air goes through the carbs which are behind the rad and a few inches in front of the head.

Do you think the air in the bay which the carbs take in could be too hot when I'm stationary for a few minutes?

I was thinking of fitting some form of cold air feed to the carbs or maybe just butchering the back of my 3 slat grill to let more air into the bay.

On I on the right track here?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Might need the mixture adjustment tweaked at idle as it may be running a tad too lean.

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

if anything being hotter can be better, stops the carbs freezing. That's why original carb set-ups have a warm air feed, usually from the exhaust manifold