Engine flush a good idea??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by harry_the_cake, Mar 4, 2004.

1. storm1981 New Member

The engine may be fine, an ancilliary like the oil pump may be worn and only functioning correctly due to the gunk keeping it together. As we all know vw engines are very strong and over engineered from factory. If I had a high mileage vw (which i'm sure many do on this forum) my advice would be if it ain't broke don't fix it. What's the point in tempting fate? As for saying engines are designed to be clean inside, well i'm sorry i will have to disagree with that. Engines are designed to burn fuel and lubricate moving parts efficiently. Unfortunately a result of this there is the build up of carbon. I agree that engine oil should be clean and changed regularly. The only way to keep an engine clean is to strip it. No flush or detergent or fuel additive is going to completely remove thick black deposits that are often almost welded onto the metal parts.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If an oil pump is only held together by black gunk, its dead and should be replaced. That gunk could come loose while youre sitting happily in the fast lane on the motorway, then you lose your oil pressure, then you lose your engine. Why not flush the engine, and hopefully break down and remove the gunk gradually under controlled conditions?
    Engines are designed to be clean inside, hence the reason for regular oil changes and also the reason for the presence of detergents in every half-respectable engine oil on the market.
    As far as your comment that No flush or detergent or fuel additive is going to completely remove thick black deposits that are often almost welded onto the metal parts goes I have a 210k BMW head sitting in my garage that would beg to differ. Ive mentioned it many times before, but this engine was sludged up, coked up, and everything else whenever I bought the car. The insides of the head was covered with a layer of burnt-on carbon, with a nice thick coating of black sludge. After a couple of thorough flushes using engine flush, flushing oil and ATF as described previously the alloy under the cam cover looked as if it had just come from the factory no sludge, no carbon, not even that layer of light brown varnish that you normally see even on well-maintained cars. I can take a picture of it if you really want.

3. davidwort Forum Member

why is the head not on the car?, did all the flushing lead to it burning oil like a million-mile Sierra? [}:)]

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nope, I crashed it so many times that it no longer looked like a BMW..... and the rear arches rusted out so badly that it was fit only for scrap!

Edit - BTW - it didn't burn a drop of oil either, right up till the day it went on the forklift into the crusher....... :lol:
    Edited by: TheSecondComing

5. jc.. Forum Member

So in conclusion...
    *Some do...Some don't
    *Some will...Some won't
    *Flushing old engines stops them working
    *Flushing all the time keeps them working
    *Flushing removes black stuff that is holding my oil pump together
    *Flushing doesn't remove the black stuff
    *If my engine has black stuff holding it together then its shagged anyway, I may as well get the bus.
    *Flushing screws the new oil I add after flushing.
    *Flushing helps get rid of deposits
    *There is a litre of oil left in an engine after draining.
    *Oil contains detergents
    *Flushing solution is parafin with some fairy liquid in it

Seabirds don't like oil butdon't try flushing them they don't like that either

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

[:s] :o
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I think that's a fair summary. :lol: At least everybody has had a chance to air their opinions, and people can make their own minds up as to who knows their stuff and who doesn't. To flush or not to flush, it's your choice.......
    Now quick, quick, move it to the FAQ section! ;)

8. Dave VR6 Forum Member

I think that sums it up for me.I changed the oil every 5k and used a engine flush and when I pulled the thing apart the amount of sh1t inside was more than I expected it to be so wether it would have been worse for not using a flush I will never know but IMO it is a waste of time but I think it phsychologically cleans it out if you get my meaning so use it as it won`t do any harm but there again it may not do any good.Personal preference.

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

I personally would jus whack a gallon of diesel in it, do a couple hours very hard thrashing, drain n refil with quality sunflower oil :)

10. VR6Will Forum Member

i think we should make this a poll!! :lol:

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

this IS interesting! tell us more Dave, what engine, oil, type of flush and did you put cheap oil in @ any time?
    Mark