Engine leveller?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by afbiker02, May 10, 2013.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

They do make it easier, for tilting the engine whilst jiggling it into place. I just use a chain and 2 small shackles and adjust it so it's level.

afbiker02 likes this.
  3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

the golf engine and gear box are not that heavy that even if you make a hash of the way it hangs you can easy lift push or tweak it into place with the every handy 12" screwdriver. I have promised my self one of these to add to the engine crane when / if I ever have to lift say the Jaguar XK unit out.

But in your case I would spend the 24 on beer for celebrating a job well done.

afbiker02 likes this.
  4. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I guess I'll go get some chain as it would be cheaper. Thanks for the input :thumbup:

5. turbotommy Forum Member

I've got a leveller but don't really use it very often. I use an old car seatbelt to lift engines,you'd be supprised how much you can push/pull an engine & box to make it fit in the bay too.

afbiker02 likes this.
  6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I used one when I put the V6 into mine but that's understandablelol
    It did make the job very easy but I'm sure it could be done without as you don't really tilt the engine in sideways, it's more front to back.

afbiker02 likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yah old seatbelts do the trick for me, just need to lift the gearbox end to sit it on the mount and work from there.

my top tip when refitting an engine to car is at the earliest possible moment slip the shafts into the cups on the gearbox. they wont go in once engine is bolted unless you undo bearing carriers/whishbones/whatever and swing em out. also try to get 1 bolt in and threaded loosely to hold the cvs in the cups while you are faffing about trying to get the engine located

afbiker02 likes this.
  8. lard44 Forum Member

IIRC I once saw Matt82 lift an engine using just an old looped cambelt.

Not all the way out mind, just enough to do a subframe replacement...good times...

9. lufbramatt Forum Member

^ this lol

You have to push and pull the lump around to get the manifold through the bulkhead etc. so it doesn't matter too much how level it is.

afbiker02 likes this.
  10. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

I rent out my engine hoist and all i give people is 2 shackles chain and a medium ratchet strap and i had no complaints yet.