Engine stand bolts

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by afbiker02, Mar 5, 2013.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

So I have an engine stand a co worker let me barrow but I have no bolt to attach the engine to it with[:x] what do I need to get?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Same as the gearbox -> engine bolts but much longer. How long depends on the stand. They're M12 x 1.75 (I think).

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I just used some length of 10mm threaded bar and cut it to length.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Spare starter bolts can do too, for the holes that go right through and you can get a nut on the other side - they're a bit too long, so I've got them packed out with some old Mk2 front strut nuts. I've got a mix of 10 and 12mm bolts on mine.

[​IMG]

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

When I did my engine I used threaded rod. The bits I used were actually meant for holding wall hung bog pans to the wall (worked for a piping company at the time, used what I could find in the stores), so I assume you can get them from a plumbers merchant pre-cut to the perfect length.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yep, a lot of hardware stores will do threaded rod. I'm lucky to have Apex fasteners down the road in Slough, and they carry a wide range of bolts that'll do the job.

I find the biggest faff of the whole job is getting all the adjustable arms in the right position so that you can get all of them attached without one getting in the way of the others.