Ermmm....I knocked a guy off his bike, where do i stand?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by funkbaron, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Admin Guest

suntour, what a load of sh*t, don't use too heavy a press, you'll break it! :lol:

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yeh, it's one of those cheapo "jump style" bikes. I have a massive 4 bolt 58t Race Face DH ring knocking about, perhaps I could weld it to his cranks, at least it wouldn't have bent...he'd have legs like an olympian shot putter by the time he's ridden to work a few times too:lol:

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Buy him a new chainring, then give the idiot the receipt for his chainring and the quote for your new bumper.
    Then stab him in the back of the head when he turns around. I would have lamped him one if I were you, cyclists on the pavement or main roads are the scourge of traffic these days.........

4. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

That, and my driving.

Perhaps that's why my car is always spilling its guts all over the road?
    It just can't take high-speed undertaking maneuvers on pavements anymore...

5. theboymike Forum Junkie

I cycle, but think the cyclist is being a bit of a tw*t - wrong way, pavement etc - you don't expect pedestrians to shoot infront of you at 15-20mph when you're trying to pull out..

Think you're being more than fair repairing the bike, considering the damage caused to the car.

Last time I hit a car I was caning up the pavement when a 3 series pulled out of a blind gateway - only hit the wheel so didn't damage the car but if flung me over the bonnet and buckled the bike wheel so badly it wouldn't turn through the forks any more - and all on a nearly new Orange [:^(]

Was blatantly my fault though.. just got up, apologied and f*cked off up the bike shop to get it sorted :p

6. stu h Forum Member

some knob-head cyclist rode into the side of my VR6. shot down my inside as i was indicating to turn left, traffic had just started moving so i was moving slowly but the cycling git was flying down the road and just as i turned in he rode into the side of the car.

he stayed on his feet tho and then called me for everything - but i asked him why he'd undertook a car indicating left he still blamed me.

He fooked off while i looked at damage to the car - i was furious so I chased the little feck up the road and gave him a huuuuge mouthtful

he had the cheeck to report me to the police for threatening behaviour and careless driving (or something similar) fortunately after i spoke to the police it went no further but i still had a cyclist shaped dent in the side of the car to pay for myself

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Just been around the bloke's house and went to take the chainring off......******* thing was riveted to the crank arm, so had to go to the local bike shop and grab a cheap new set of cranks and rings. Wallet's now 30 lighter[8(]....

After, when I saw the manky old crank arm and bent rings on the floor, and old boy muttered "no harm done 'eh", I thought of TSC's words: "stab him in the back of the head"....made me chuckle thinking of him turning up at A&E with them embedded in his skull[}:)] :lol:

Ah well, all sorted!

8. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

:lol: Good days work then mate

9. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Yep....fun,fun,fun:)

[:x] [:^(]

10. theboymike Forum Junkie

Fair play for being the bigger man :thumbup:

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Aye, stung the wallet, but was easier to just crack on, fix his bloody bike and avoid aggro.:)

Now just need to get my bumper sorted[8(]

12. ghoster Forum Member

dunno man, despite everything, you are in charge of a one ton car that is at the very bottom of the ' rights' chain, imagine it does go to a hearing, the govt is having a purge atm on gettin everyone into/onto bikes.
    I love my car far more than I should, I also really love to bike as you do, so i aint anti this or? just thinkin how plod would.
    fact is you crossed a pathway - drive or not irrelevant, the onus is very much on you man.....
    still the ol boy prolly was just venting, when he saw ya - post abuse- and clammed up, the only threat option he got left is the legal recourse of reporting it.
    I wouldn't worry man, but if you know him or see him about, bung him a tenner..

13. ghoster Forum Member

hahhahah apizza arrived and its taken so long to answer this post, the post has moved on! my bad metard

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

shouldve loosened his brakes while you were there

15. Admin Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i actually blurted out laughing to that!

undo the stem a tiny bit too, so after a bit of time it works lose, so he turns the bars but carries on straight

16. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'm not bunging him a tenner, seeing as i've just spent 30 on a new chainset, and spent my time servicing and doing the repair of his bike. What's more....let's think like "plod"...i'm pulling out of a junction, i'm flashed to leave, so I know the road is clear, seeing as the person flashing is holding the traffic up, I have already looked left to see there is nothing on the pavement (can only see about 10m down it anyway), i then look back right to acknowledge the driver, pull out and crunch....he was travelling at speed, on the pavement, wrong side of road, and I was pulling out (of a junction, not a drive), and he even swerved around my bonnet to get round my car....how can you say thats remotely my fault?[:x] [:x] [:x] .........i'm calm:)

17. funkbaron Forum Junkie

:lol: trust me....the thought had crossed my mind.

18. ghoster Forum Member

well ang on.....it really doesnt matter what side of the road he was / wasnt on,
    I know you wasnt on a drive,
    you say you can only see about 10m of paving, so 'plod' would say - undue care and attention,
    some other driver told you to move off?, did they select your underwear that day also?

please stop trying to justify your own whiter than whiteness, shi thappens

if that last post was a statement to the old bill , you'd be fuxxed
    ''and he even swerved around my bonnet to get round my car....how can you say thats remotely my fault ''
    well, he swerved to avoid you but couldnt implies you were still moving at point of collision - you claim he swerved - ergo he was aware but impudent to act to fully avoid collision ? yet you claim that you saw him swerve? that implies you saw him ( albeit late) and were hopefully braking
    exactly how fast do you think you were moving ?
    The fact that you now gone and spent money time and effort in keeping matey sweet, suggest's that you feel a little more guilty than you're o.p. would imply.

please, I'm only giving you a thought from outside the frame, it's too bad that we don't allways like what we hear and I understand its only natural to be uptight and respond in defence.
    look, accidents are a series of actions that either combine or follow on to make an event,
    they are never as straightforward as we like to imagine and are often complex beast's.
    your minor (luckily) event is no exception, result thats all it has cost eh!
    imagine one of those fitness milf's pushing her jogging buggy?

19. funkbaron Forum Junkie

What part of "i was at a junction about to pull out" don't you understand? Would you swerve around a car on a bike if you knew he was about to pull out - bare in mind moron, he was breaking the law. Now either you're trying to wind me up, or you're just plain stupid (i suspect the latter)....go annoy someone else. Given the facts, i fail to see how you can conclude I was to blame. How fast do you think an illegaly ridden bike on the pavement can cover 10m....perhaps 3-4seconds, probably faster? So he see's a car at the junction of the pub car park, and see's a car about to pullout and thinks "hey I know...i'll cycle in front of this guy". He wasn't in the road facing main road traffic, with a car stopped letting me out, to avoid me you nob, he was trying to get round the front of my car (illegally) using no common sense - hence in the moment it took me to look both ways he was in front of my car. Reason i fixed his bike is I have a thing called insurance, something ****ers like tha can take advantage of at my expense - it was easier to knuckle down and fix his bike. Now **** off. How about the damage to my car, amounting to about 200+

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  20. funkbaron Forum Junkie

err yeh, what else should i be looking out for on the pavement, besides speeding pushbikes, jumbo jets?