ETKA Help...

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Zender Z20, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Have come across a Bosch dizzy that was remanufactured at the factory.

When that happens (as is the case here) Bosch appear to give the refurbished item a completely new part number, but they also cross reference it to the original number so when checking one or the other you are made aware.

That I've got a handle on and understand, but in this case it's possible VW are involved.

When you look at dizzies on 7Zap sometimes the notes make reference to 'Detail of the restored at the factory' and an additional VW (not Bosch) number is given.

That perhaps implies VW officially had Bosch refurb stuff for them?

I can only check so much on-line and this one has me going around in circles.

I've all the Bosch side of things nailed, but could someone with better access run this VW number to see if anything additional pops up?

Would I be right in saying '1HS' is sometimes associated with Polo Mk3's?

'905205', or a variation of it, is quite common amongst VW/Bosch dizzie numbers.

Cheers.

1HS905205

Cressa likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1H would be MK3 Golf, but not sure what 1HS would be as that doesnt match up to the usual. Possibly some special reference for rebuilt stuff or whatever. Anyway that part number doesn't come up with any matches in ETKA, if you put it in the part number search it just says 'no information at the standard root' which either means its been NLA so long its lost its reference in the parts catalogue or its for a car which isnt in the catalogue at all

I think I found the one you mean on ebay, if so it looks like it could be a larger base 2.0 8v one which would tally to the 1H at least. I cant see either of the bosch numbers in my bosch x-ref list either annoyingly it stops at 0986237646 / 0237520062 :lol:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  3. Zender Z20

It's an odd one alright... the Bosch numbers tally with one another and also cross ref. to that VW number, so it seems they were given correctly.

0237520063 is the original part number

0986237647 is the number it's given if factory refurbed / an exchange.

It's the Bosch refurb. number that goes on to cross ref. to the VW number you see in the original post so possible they too changed them in those circumstances?

As you guessed it was on eBay... the listing had been up for over three years when I checked, without a current single watcher or an offer/bid in all that time!

This is the solitary image from it -

1HS dizzie.jpg

First thoughts were that it's one of those latter day copies, but the more I looked at it's possible it's a genuine MK3 one with the longer stem, maybe just my wishful thinking!

Took a punt on it , even if it doesn't fit (and if it is genuine), the cap, rotor and Hall sensor are listed as being the same as for my MK2, so be good for parts.

Ran the numbers through Autodoc out of curiosity and they recognise / confirm them, but no mention of the vehicles it's applicable to.

Wasn't very much, plus free post so it's on it's way... watch this space.

4. Zender Z20

Arrived today and it's genuine, but as you rightly said it's the bigger based MK3 one.

Has to be more than just coincidence that your lists run out exactly one short on each count?

Have a look at 0237520061, that number's on the box it came in, but has been scored out so can't be relied upon.

It's list of applicable vehicles is shown, plus there's a breakdown of the cap/rotor and Hall sender numbers used.

If you do the same with 0237520062 / 0986237648 you'll get the exact same vehicle and component list.

Bump that along yet another digit to mine, 0237520063 / 0986237649, and while you don't get any vehicle list, you do still get the same components once again.

I'm also getting the VW number 037 905 205 Q thrown up for the first two Bosch numbers.

The trigger wheel is marked 155, that's different to the MK2's which is 145 (in refurb'd form), so even if it physically fitted, I'd think that would mean it's incompatible.

The stamped in refurb. date looks to be 11/01, you can also see there's a new pin holding on the gear cog suggesting it's been apart.

The whole thing looks like new, their refurbs must be pretty extensive, even the body of it might have been lightly machined again?

Wouldn't have the heart to do it unless I was really stuck, but the cap / rotor and Hall sender do all match those on my MK2's dizzie (0237 520 044) so worth having if only for parts!

IMG20240131180734.jpg IMG20240131180816.jpg IMG20240131180838.jpg IMG20240131180920.jpg IMG20240131181442.jpg

5. rubjonny

037905205Q listed for ADY, AEP, AGG, if it was for one of those the trigger wheel inside will only have 1 window in it :)

the trigger wheel for this one is listed only for MK3 era, so potentially some kind of change on the casting makes it incompatible with earlier type?

6. Zender Z20

Haven't had any dealings with post MK2 dizzies before this one so at a disadvantage.

Do recall you writing elsewhere about single window trigger wheels on MK3 dizzies, but can confirm this one has the four.

037905205Q (and along with it 037 905 237 D, 037 905 237 DX, 037 905 237 P) was thrown up against some references I found to 0237520061 (that's the box number, not the one pressed into the dizzie), so maybe a red herring.

The vehicle lists include Alhambras, MK3's, B3 Passats Vento's etc, it's quite long, but they are mainly for '93 to '98 models with 1984 cc engines / 115 HP'ish.

7. rubjonny

Ok if it's got 4 windows it'll be for 2e code and the various other vag equivalents I assume. The only thing which might be different if it's for some random other early 4 cylinder is the position/size of the windows in the trigger wheel, to be 100% sure if it's a 2e or not you would need to compare those. The wheel from a PB or similar digifant engine should also match it

8. Zender Z20

The trigger wheels on both have the same diameter / circumference, but the open windows of the PB's (0237 520 044) are larger and the solid portion correspondingly smaller than those on this new one, so much so that you can tell just by looking, though measuring confirms it.

The Hall sender on each dizzy is supposed to be the same 1 237 031 296, which if checked on its own unfortunately gives an even longer list of vehicles, but may help?

There's a little hole in the upper face of the new one's trigger wheel that the MK2's dizzies I've seen don't have.

IMG20240201132438.jpg

9. rubjonny

Actually thinking about it the pb trigger windows may be different to the 2e ones, so to be sure a 2e dizzy would need to be sourced unless someone else.can confirm one way or another

Zender Z20 likes this.