Evans Coolant question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Jonsie, Jul 3, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats just a thermoswitch for the inlet herater, the dash temp one is the black plug underneath. gasket situation doesnt look good but on the plus side probably confirms why the poor running/warmer running

2. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

THanks John,

I thought it might be. I might be able to take a look if I get to have my holiday time as planned in December.

Ok so not so critical the red sensor. I have replaced the balck and blue sensors and have a new thermostat to fit when I get round too it hey.

Can I be cheeky and ask a question here about how to prepare my car for storage as I am due to move to the States for a couple years with work in Jan and I'm not taking my Jetta, so was wondering if there was anything specific I should be looking to do to store her before I go. SHe will reside in a warm dry garage the whole time and I have a set of old steelies with tyres that I won't be upset about when they are square when I get back.
    Was wondering about oiling areas and of course a good wash to make sure there is no salt and dry her properly etc.

Gonna miss my Vdub!

Thanks again

3. rubjonny

if its gonna be warm and dry i wouldnt worry too much, if you're worried find some spray on lube and give the engien a going over but really 2 years in the warm and dry shoudnt see it deteriorate really.

4. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

So, I have restarted this thread as it is part of the renovation of my Jetta. I shall move this to members cars if poss.

Basically, I was in the US for two year and did not get to work on my Jetta during that time. I have relocated back to Sweden and now restarted my project. I want to restore the car but also improve as it goes along. Starting with removing the head. From the work previously, it appears that the head gasket is on its way out and needs replacing.
    I will also be sorting bodywork, suspension and brakes, then the interior.
    will,update as I get cracking
    Simon

5. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Hey all I have a question.
    My car is an 8v engine code RP. To remove the head I have detached all the ancillary wires and connections etc, but now it's the timing belt. I have set the engine to TDC, so now I just release the tensioner and remove the belt from the toothed wheel right?
    Whilst the head is off I was thinking about getting the sprockets and wheels all cleaned app and powder coated. I have the mk2 PAS which I want to change but before I do I need to remove the belt. I have released the alternator drive belt and the tensioner for the PAS belts but it didn't move. What am I missing?
    Thanks for any assistance?
    Simon

6. rubjonny

yep just whip it off, nothing complicated about it :thumbup:

for the pas theres a nice hidden bolt on the back side of the pump you probably missed, its a right pain