Exhaust back box?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by gti-8v, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gti-8v Forum Member

Will be replacing my standard tired 3box set up with a free flow 2 box 57mm stainless setup. Ideally I would like twin pipes on the rear box, which I feel looks smart. However I have heard this type of system does not create enough back pressure or can make funny noise while the engine is idling????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does the exhaust system have to be specifically matched for a twin exhaust system?

2. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hi GTi - I have a stainless steel twin back box on my 8v and it doesn't make a funny noise. Got it from Quicksilver Exhausts, they have a good website. If you need some advice give them a call and speak to Paul Goddard, he's very helpful. Hope this is of assistance but mine is a standard exhaust and you may want something different.

3. t'mill Forum Member

Susannah, how much was your exhaust from Quicksilver if you don't mind me asking? Did you have a full system? Does your back box look fairly original equipment?

Apologies for all the questions! I've had a peep at their website and it don't half look posh. I reckon they'd be out of my budget judging by all the super cars they cater for.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well thats rubbish really isnt it, all MK2 8v gtis after 85ish and all 16vs + G60s have twin tailpipes from the factory :lol:

5. nodeward Forum Member

yep utter *******s

6. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hello again GTi8v - I paid 103 for my back box plus carriage and thought that was a pretty fair deal for lifetime guaranteed stainless. Yes, they do upmarket cars but also MKII GTis and many others. I think the price for a full system is around 320, at the time all I needed was back box - the rest will come later when necessary. Don't be put off by the website, give Paul a ring and have a chat, he's a nice helpul guy even if you don't end up buying from him.

If you want to see a photo of mine send me a private message with an email address and I'll mail you a photo, only reason I say this is because I am absolute rubbish at Photobucket and Ian my saviour posted my pics! Hope this is of some help. Also the end of the tailpipes are polished so they shine.

7. gti-8v Forum Member

Cool - thanx for the info Susannah, will check out their site.....

I also thought the statement from the exhaust dealer was a bit strange given so many mk2's came with the twin tip exhaust units.

8. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Hiya again - my system is standard and that's what Quicksilver supply but you may or may not want that, do call Paul Goddard. If it's non standard s/s you are after and he can't supply no doubt he will put you onto someone who can. Good luck.