Exhaust C-Clamp disaster, Part number?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by MacColl, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MacColl Forum Member

Car is a carbed 1.8 Mk2 Scirocco GT2, I have been having a nightmare with these clamps that I thought were good quality.. Even trying to use the original ended in it snapping.
    [​IMG]
    I had already commented on this thread(http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?251595-driver-downpipe-sealing-ring&highlight=exhaust+c+clamps) about possible quality issues and now I am without car!
    The new one that that was successfully fitted actually broke on the car..
    [​IMG]
    Other side used old one and it's held..
    [​IMG]

What is the vw part number? and can I get them from VW or VW heritage?

I know GSF do them but I really worry about the quality. Need to get these ASAP as I now need to commute to a new job on two buses.

2. erantomer Forum Member

vw still do them, part number is 161298115
    i did this job 3 times in the last year with aftermarket clamps and seal, broke me back and wounded me arms laying on the asphalt and everything is crap. the exhaust is till leaking from the joint. i don't now if it's the seal or the clamps or that i stretched them too much, but i would go for original parts in this case.
    if you are doing this you MUST have another person to help you out, because after you fit one clamp it's sooo hard to fit the other one. you have to tilt the downpipe hard from underneath while the helper will fit the clamp from above.
    gsf clamps are crap.

3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

They are a bit of a pain these clamps, one way round the issue of them snapping and being a right royal pain is to use the proper SP tool or the handy method shown below ;)

[​IMG]

4. MacColl Forum Member

Thanks for quick response, I was given 161 253 111 as a part number which is probably a Scirocco number.

I have ordered Bosal clamps from here anyway thoughts?..
    http://www.micksgarage.com/ProdDeta...utm_source=google_base&utm_content=&utm_term=

I will probably get clamps from VW if I can and I have ordered a proper tool for 15 which I am prepared to pay for less grief.

The gasket/ring I have is like a metal gauze, it should be fine shouldn't it? was in a hurry before so had just re-used the original.

Thanks again.

5. erantomer Forum Member

this number is for all the models that use this arrangement.
    i would still go for original set from vw, this is not a fun job.
    also a good tool is essencial. mine was a pure quality, gave me a lot of pita.
    i think the mesh ring is a later improvement to the previous full metal one.

6. MacColl Forum Member

Thanks once again, just an update on this..

Picking up Clamps and metal ring gasket kit (the hard type) from VW tomorrow for 29, bit steep and they better be oem. These were bought with the 161298115 code as the Scirocco 16 253111 code came up with the clamps on there own but were on back order from germany (up to two weeks).

Hopefully fitting tomorrow without any drama, also should have the Bosal Clamps sitting at my shop as spares.

I will have the option of the wire type gasket or as mentioned the solid metal one?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've used the GSF Ones without a problem. The Laser version of the clip tool seems to work well. Glad I bought it!!

8. MacColl Forum Member

Ok so i'm wondering if it's more how these are fitted than the quality? Or there has been varying quality?

The proper tool perhaps puts less strain on the clamp that I would reckon has limited tolerance. Oh well I suppose I'm saving on the labour anyway.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i used new genuine clamps with the exhaust clamp trick above, no problems at all. the problem i did have was trying to get the new hard metal ring on the manifold, it just wasnt happening. id have to take it off the car and tap it on i recon! in the end i put the old one on with a good smear of exhaust paste... which didnt stop the blow :lol:

id recommend you bin all that rubbish entirely, instead fit a 6 bolt type injection manifold and downpipe way better flow you will notice a difference. might have to fit an injection exhaust system or reducer, im not sure what the diameter of the downpipe is

10. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I can't say how please I was when I first got under my 8v and spotted it DID NOT have the 'C' clamp set-up.

11. MacColl Forum Member

Ok now fitted.

[​IMG]
    From left to right you can see the black Bosal clamps, below the unknown new broken ones then you've got the vw ones with solid metal ring, then the Febi Bilstien wire type ring and then the tool for the job. You can see that the VW clamps look better in quality in terms of their symmetrical shape, over all quality and that they seem to have been galvanised.

I was able to remove the old metal ring and fit the solid vw ring and importantly with an extra pair of hands was able to fit these with a bit of persuasion. At a leisurely pace done in an hour with someone working from the top and from the bottom of the engine. The tool was stretching the clamp right to it's limit especially on one side but I think this was down to the hardness and seating of the new ring. Extra wedging/shimming from one side and jacking of the down pipe helps get the second clamp in. Used a block of wood, large flat screw driver and utility bar at one point.

Hope this can help people in future, might add further pictures. I stuck with this type of arrangement because I already had the down pipe and although i do have the six stud type it would have involved fitting new sheered studs to that manifold. I also would have had to find the right Mk2 Scirocco down pipe.

Thanks once again.

12. erantomer Forum Member

mind the misspelling on the bergen tool.
    doesn't make a lot of confidence in it lol