Exhaust whats loudest??

Discussion in 'Engines' started by VR6pack, Feb 6, 2008.

1. VR6pack Forum Member

Hi all

After a new exhaust but cant decide on which make
    im after quite a loud exhaust it needs to burble on tick over and then when i hit the louder peddle it comes to life in a big way

any input gratefully recieved and any videos would be greatfully recieved too

Cheers people

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

get a backbox you like the style of (down to how much of a chav you are really) and then take it to an exhaust place and get them to make up pipe work to match it up to your cat (if you have one)

cant beat a single silencer for being stupidly loud

3. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Just take the back box off, cheap and loud init.

If thats not loud enough, just keep taking sections of exhaust off until you reach your desired loudness.

Although at a recent essex meet a VR6 was rolling with a side exit that sounded sweet.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

nuff sweet?

side exit is pretty much the future again (if 70s is the future... only dan allen can tell us that, i dont know anyone older than him)

5. VR6pack Forum Member

what an choke from the fumes nice i can get high at the same time

6. VR6pack Forum Member

side exit would be pretty sweet actually, what i ment was what off the shelf systems are the loudest should of elaborated really

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

a free flow manifold will help, also what its made from makes a differance. stainless tends to be louder, but tinner, where as milds normally a deeper note.

it also depends on what car its going and what over mods its got (a induction kit will make a very nice bark) mk1 has a tubular manifold, and then a stainless link pipe to the rear section which is mild along with the mild steel single box. this sounds very nice having a deep burble at tick over (helped by a longer duration cam) and the taking on a bark and rasp at higher revs.

my

8. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Supersprint tends to be pretty good, ive got a full supersprint on my 8v and its pretty darn loud.

And i'll second what M7R has said i had a full stainless scorpion system and that was very tinny and not that loud, have now switched to the mild steel supersprint and its a lot deeper with more of a throatier roar still pops and bangs aswell.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  9. VR6pack Forum Member

sorry there i go again not enough info its a mk3 vr6 i got a pipercross air filter and its a catalyst system

10. VR6pack Forum Member

ooo pops and bangs like the sound of that, do you think a 6 branch would help alot they dont seem to be very expensive

11. MrDubmeister Forum Member

A CAT sadly will restrict how much noise is made, but you can get CAT replacement sections. Just means that you put the CAT back for MOT. Also bear in mind its rather naughty to run a car that was manafactured with a CAT without one

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i doubt youll get a particularly loud system off the shelf unless you are really careful about what silencer types you get

just go for the removing silencers technique. if you get one off the shelf and its too quiet, youll just end up taking out silencers anyway lol

13. VR6pack Forum Member

Yea i've seen them kicking about on ebay shouldn't be too much trouble swapping and changing for mot

14. VR6pack Forum Member

well cheers mate thats exactly the type of answer i was after i mean i'd rather spend the money getting a custom exhaust made than buy a off the shelf item and have to have bits made up hence the thread, do you think back pressure is a issue with the v6 lump?

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Why do you want a really loud exhaust?

16. Dubmuffin Forum Member

just keep in mind noise does not = power! most of the time a stupidly loud exhaust is too large in bore size and the gas speed is then too low causing power losses.

my system on the mk1 is a jamex one, on the twin box it was a little quiet, but now its far better with out being silly.

if you want lots of noise get a custom made one, but dont expect major power gains,

on the decat front, look at miltek free flow cats as these will still keep you leal, or just drop it out with a decat pipe and pop it back in for the mot, but you will be hauled over the coals if you are pulled by the police and the cars checked over, or stopped in a vosa spot check.

Karl - posting on Beccas account while shes out the room.

17. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Becca says - on a VR6 get yourself a Schrick manifold (which not only creates an awesome noise but also increases BHP!) and a VR6 Powerflow exhaust.
    My best mate had this on his VR (before he wrote it off :() and it sounded wonderful, loud without sounding like your average chavmobile! You could hear it coming from the end of my road.. and that's the A34 :lol:!

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

louder can mean more fun, if you like that sort of thing.

my system is only 50 or 55mm diameter (cant rmeember) and is daft loud. does not have to be too big to be loud (just unsilenced lol)

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

or a raceland manifold, cheap, even cheaper if you get one in the classifieds. then have the cat, keep the system 55mm, then have a centre box under the car then side exit... youll love it

20. VR6pack Forum Member

not stupidly loud like a nova with a bean can just want a noticable exhaust i want to hear the 6 cylynders and i want everyone around me to hear em too