Extension tubes (gruesome content)

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by stella, Oct 18, 2011.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

Apologies for this gruesome small corpse! Having got myself a set of Kenco extension tubes, I wanted to take a picture of something small, and as it's dark outside, couldn't do flowery things. So when I found this corpse on the carpet, I thought I'd try this, seeing as it wouldn't be moving.

I've obviously got a lot to learn about macro photography - I knew the DoF would be small, but didn't realise quite how small!

This was taken in manual mode, in a light tent, at F18, so not much latitude to stop down any more.

Anyone else use tubes? Any tips?

2. Pluginz Forum Member

Nice Stella. Im really engrossed in the picture for some reason. Cant stop looking at it hehe

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

Yeah, set the lens to its closest focus manually, then move the camera back and forth to obtain the desired focus. That way you'll get the biggest shot (most macro) your setup is capable of.

4. s1m0n Forum Member

Heehee great shot!

My x makes beads (that I photograph), I started with extension tubes but very quickly ended up with a proper macro lens (soooo much easier!).

An inexpensive ring flash will help you a lot.

As mark25 has said, set your focus manually and then move the camera is a good way but can be awkward if your using a tripod.

A ring flash (and good macro lens) will enable you to stop down further but as you have identified depth of field is measured in mm lol...

Fun though ain’t it!

Cheers for now

Simon

[​IMG]

5. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

awesome photo stella!

6. richwig83 Forum Member

Ooo nice shot... any more stella?

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks for the tips :)

I have a couple more, and even following the tips, still find it extremely difficult with the focussing. I have just started a new job, so hope before too long to treat myself to a dedicated macro lens - probably a Tokina as I can't justify Nikon prices.

Dandelion - this is with a 50mm lens and tubes, had to get so close to focus, couldn't get the whole flower in.

[​IMG]

Greenflies

[​IMG]

8. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

macro tubes are amazing. they totally transform your cameras capability for a few pounds.. not sure a dedicated macro lens is worth the money though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Very nice pictures, 2.0 Mk2 :)

I have tried the rocking back and forth but I can't hold the camera still enough. It is a Nikon D300, plus lens, plus tubes and it is too heavy for me to hold steady (I have arthritis, which doesn't help much). So I use a tripod for nearly everything, macro or not. I bought a gadget off eBay that goes on the top of a tripod and allows more control over the position of the camera, but it is not everso stable with that weight of camera on it. And using a 50mm lens means I have to be so close to whatever I'm photographing, I can't get most of it in the frame.

When I get another job, I plan on buying a macro lens which will hopefully make things simpler.

Here's a couple I did earlier but I'm not over impressed by them. However, they do make up the numbers for my 365 project http://365project.org/stella65/365

Hundreds and thousands

[​IMG]

Time

[​IMG]