Facet fuel pump setup for a track car

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by pj_sibley, Aug 9, 2011.

1. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Just wondering about the possiblity of replacing the under-car fuel pump/accumulator/filter setup on a Mk2 16v with an under-bonnet Facet fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter setup. The car is used predominantly on track, so I need something reliable and less vulnerable to damage than the current setup (which needs new interconnecting pipes anyway!).

Is this possible / straighforward and something other people have done? Can anyone provide a simple parts / fitting guide?

Have done a search but not come across that much. Any advice much appreciated :clap:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what engine management is it? if its k-jet then afaik there are no facet pumps which are capable of running the pressure/flow required

3. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Yep, good old K-Jet :thumbup:

Fair enough, thought I'd ask anyway. From doing a bit more research, it seems like removing the fuel pump unit, cleaning everything up, replacing the filter / interconnecting pipes (I have these already) and using new fixtures to re-fit would be the best plan.

Do you happen to know the part nos for the four fixtures?

4. rubjonny

the rubber mounts you mean? 191 201 256, 5+VAT
    i would also get the 3 screws that hold the pump in as if they start to corrode they can expand and split the housign which is what happened to my old digi. the housing is available new still if you need it, gsf used to sell gen vag ones at one time. oh and the pipes theres new sets being made up on here somewhere too

5. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Thanks! :thumbup:

I assume I'll need four mounts and three screws then. Will look into to getting a new pump housing from GSF, otherwise will repaint the existing one.

I've got a new filter and some nice new stainless steel braided interconnecting pipes (custom made) with brass compression washers to fit. Is it worth doing anything with the pump or accumulator?

Any tips on getting whole lot of it's mountings, or is it just a case of releasing the fuel pressure and hoping the fixings aren't corroded too bad?

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

7. rubjonny

undo the 2 lines to the lift pump in the tank first, otherwise the whole tank will empty itself with capillary action :lol:

first put a bucket/container under the pump to catch any fuel, now there are 4 pipes to crack loose. you have the feed & return from the bay and the 2 lifter pump lines. leave it overnight if you can so the feed line pressure is released, but can jut have a rag round it when you crack it. once they're all loose but not removed nip them up to stop it dripping then go for the 4 nuts holding it up. the stud holes have handy clips on them which holds the pump up even after all 4 nuts are off, then its a case of giving the pump a good yank to release it from the studs. undo the top 2 lines first to give you the slack you need. now just undo the 2 main lines again and drop it into the bucket :thumbup:

stripping it on the bench is pretty self-evident, the housing is plastic so not much to go wrong but as i say the 3 screws can split the casing round the seal area, plus the 2 halves can split apart over time. vw still sell the housings as well so I would think about replacing it for sure. The rubber mounts will probably all split in half if you try to undo the nuts, but if you hold the metal plate at the top/bottom of the mount with mole grips you should get the nuts off. Then its just a case of clean it all up using all the petrol thats come out of it, and replacing all the gubbins :thumbup:

this'll help too! i managed without grinding up spanners though :thumbup:
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=216518

8. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

That's great, thanks!! :thumbup:

Think I might have a go this weekend, as not got any trackdays booked until September.

9. Rusty Dan Forum Member

On the same subject, I have a 4 gallon fuel cell I am fitting to the Scirocco - it a 16v running K-jet and the feed and return to the cell are at the bottom of the tank therefore not needed the lift pump as the fuel from the tank is working on gravity.

I want to fit a different fuel pump and looked at Sytec injection pumps
    http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/sytec-external-in-line-fuel-injection-pump-otp020-1933-p.asp

Do you think this would be suitable so I can do away with the k-jet fuel supply system and just have the sytec pump and a fuel filter? I would need a regulator of course.

10. rubjonny

looks like a bog std kjet inline pump to me, same as what you see in the mk1 golf /rocco injection cars. as long as the specs listed there are correct it should do you, though I'd rather have a proper Bosch fuel pump than pattern

11. mk2bal Forum Member

When removing the assembly from the 4 studs attached to car, be sure to clean the threads as much as possible with a wire brush, get some plusgas or similar on it, and work the nut back and forth as you remove it, wiping + re-oiling the threads as the nut scrapes them up. They don't take too much torque to shear off once they're corroded-trust me. Its worth spending the time to clean them for safe removal, rather than spending time repairing it all which could be an a-hole of a job. Remember prevention is better than cure!!

12. Rusty Dan Forum Member

Did think that as it looks the same as mine - was hoping to be able to get some sort of aeroquip fittings but the pump is push it and clamped [:[]

13. Hilux Forum Member

I used a VW plastic fuel reservoir recommended by Rubjonny (available for a fiver or so from a VW stealer but I cant remember the part no) an in line fuel injection filter for about 6 quid, a 6 bar Sytec pump for about 65 and 7.5Lm of 8mm copper lines from e-bay for about 18 and some hoses and clips (about 25)

Works a treat

14. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Finally got round to replacing the fuel pump/filter/accumulator interconnecting pipes on my Mk2 with some nice zinc coated stainless items I picked up last year. They had been templated off a set of OE pipes and fitted superbly :thumbup: I also replaced the fuel filter and fitted new banjo bolts at each end (from KMI Engineering) and sorted out some of the bodged pipework left in by a previous owner....

[​IMG]