"fake" man in the shed heads

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by gillm, Apr 30, 2009.

1. gillm

gillm ***** User

misses bro bought a 8v head off www.vwgolfmk2.com as described as a shed head . popped over the other day to take a look and it is defo not one of daves , looks like VERY MILD porting done by a blind man . the head looks like it has been dragged out a a scrap yard and it has no cam caps so is basicly scrap . and he go to pay 180 for this .

beware guys there are some ******s ripping off daves work

thread and seller info
    http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7257&highlight=

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wasnt there another very similar to this a few months back, or was that a "tsr" head?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

One that was advertised as a TSR head.

4. thegave Forum Member

You're f***ing kidding me right?

My God the cheek of some people. Yeah mine was sold as a TSR head and then when I confronted the seller via email he actually said it was a Man in the Shed.

Is James Rowe the missus's bro?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. TATS New Member

This thread has been passed to the VWGOLFMK2.CO.UK admin for action, apologies for the bad experience on our forum dude.:o

TATS

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

yes james is my girl friends brother

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Can you confirm the name of the seller? I spoke to the Mk2Golf forum admins about getting that user banned - maybe he registered another account.

Got any sniff of an IP or postal address?

The lesson to be learned are:
    1. If you want genuine stuff, best to buy from the source.
    2. If you're not buying from the source, make sure you see pics, and can trace the seller.
    3. Bear in mind, that you have very few legal rights buying parts privately, especially if they're second hand. It's up to buyers to protect themselves.

This sounds like fraud/counterfeiting to me, but you may find it difficult to get the police interested. Worth a try though.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. thegave Forum Member

I went through my local council trading standards office and even though they were a hit slow on the pickup (took ~3 weeks for them to come back) but I've now been assigned a personal case officer who has been very helpful and prepared a letter before action letter to send to my seller. Next job is to work the collection delivery address out of ParcelForce I hope it's not too late :/

9. gillm

gillm ***** User

the sell/ip has 2 other user names

bally

jojo121

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

There is someone over on ed38 under same user name "bally", he has a very nice corrado and a daily mk3

Not pointing fingers just making you aware, maybe worth investigating?

11. gillm

gillm ***** User

the misses bro sent the seller a email as have i , heard nothing .

12. vw-widow! New Member

Hi

I am admin for the Mk2 OC. We have taken ever step possible to help our members when they have come across fraudulent sellers. I posted on the forum to help members when buying off other members - helpful steps. I have even forwarded names of people to other forums so that they can be aware.

As with other Clubs I am sure we our not the only one to be having this problem - I feel that this is given our Club a bad name, and we have worked very hard to get the site off the ground and also tried to be helpful to members that have been caught up in this type of situation.

Shell

13. vw-widow! New Member

How do you know this? Can this be confirmed anyway?

Shell

14. thegave Forum Member

What was the PayPal address and name James paid to?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  15. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah, you can't really ban by IP these days due to dynamic assigning... some users IPs will cross ref to loads of others using the ISP.

16. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I to ended up buying a "shed head" which was not a shed head and TSR got there engine builder to do this one and they passed it off as his work ( when Neal was close to going under a few years ago so was cutting corners) They are using Dave`s now so your be fine if buying one now from TSR , TSR and Shed heads are the same as he does them

I took it up to dave to get it looked over for a polish and new valve stems and couple of other things and he was not happy to say the least and has a chat with a few people and dug up the truth

It ended up costing me more than a normal shed head to put things right

So i would say get the receipt and make sure it says "Allstage" or you have no idea what it is apart from shiny metal

VW Golf Mk2 Owners' Club name is fine IMHO its just a user problem and they can be on any forum

17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Yes make sure of a Receipt.

i still have ones for Allstage going back ten years.

To be honest it would also be best if Dave@Allstage started stamping the head's like BRM used to, if this is going to be happening for and more.

18. vw-widow! New Member

19. gillm

gillm ***** User

don't think that matters