Fan heater noise

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DaleRob, Dec 10, 2003.

1. DaleRob New Member

Everytime I turn the fan heater on in my MK2'91 golf gti, the heater makes the most annoying whining noise. Goes away after about 10 mins.

Can anybody shed any light on this undocumented feature? [:x]

2. jake Forum Member

if its not leaves or rubbish touching the fan then it's probably knackered or dry bearings in the motor. Unclip it and see if you can get some WD40 in there, it might help.

3. DaleRob New Member

How do I get at the fan motor? [:s]

4. jake Forum Member

in the passenger side foot well, behind the shelf there is a foamy cover that can be carefully removed. In the far corner, near the door shut is the fan motor, unplug the connector and look around the top of it for a peice of plastic that you need to flex over a stop to aloow the motor body to rotate and come out downwards, it's a bayonet fitting like a lightbulb.

I've never got the fan off the motor and sprayed it in the right place but I have stood it upside down and soaked the fatherless child in WD40 and let it drain into the motor, I think there is a small plastic cap oin the bottom of the motor which might help secure the foam peice and let you spray.

None of them are exactly quiet, mine make a growling noise 'till you kick it!

5. jprocter Forum Member

Had to but a new one for mine as it was really getting on my nerves.
    Cured it.

Cheers

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict