FAO MK2 20vt Owners!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by trialsy, May 19, 2005.

1. trialsy Forum Member

Ive been using the search to try and find the best combination of gearbox/flywheel and clutch to use but not many people tend to list what they've got.

so would people be able to list what setups theyre using?

power/torque - gearbox - flywheel - clutch

cheers

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Either:-

G60 2wd 02A Gearbox, Clutch and Flywheel
    or
    Mk3 16v 02A Gearbox, Clutch and Flywheel

Thats as i understand it. Someone correct me if im wrong.

3. Rallye Forum Junkie

seat cupra 02a as it has a cable operated clutch, so no need to mod the
    pedal box. Any 02a flywheel (may as well lighten it while its out) and a
    the slightly larger VR6 clutch

4. Rallye_Will Forum Member

I'm using a passat 16v 02A gearbox and flywheel with a Sachs power clutch, I know this isn't the best but its held out alright for 3000 miles including a track day...265 bhp with 285 lb/ft. Thinking about using the S3 box that i've got lying around though.

5. alackofspeed Forum Member

Would this combo work?

O2J - diesel box. Okay the gears are long, but the smaller diameter wheel/tyrecombo of the mk2 will go some way towards solving this "problem" - a tuned 1.8t in a relatively light shell shouldn't struggle with the longer gearing. I'm pretty sure the diesel boxes have 100mm outputs, so you can use O2O driveshafts. The O2J boxes are slightly stronger than O2A boxes?

VR6 - clutch and flywheel.

Seat Ibiza cable clutch system.

1st post, so go easy[:$]

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The mountings arent the same, you would need custom ones making and also i think the way the box sits would determine custom driveshafts too. Its easier just fitting a reliable 02a gearbox from a g60 or 16v.

Bear in mind also, that when changing from cable clutch to hydraulic clutch that you would need to change pedal box and add clutch slave cylinder.

However, as Rallye said the 16v cupra was fitted with an 02a and a nice adapter on the side to fit a cable operated clutch with it. You dont need a seat 16v 02a box specifically though, you can just get the clutch cables and mounting/adapters seperately from SEAT and fit it to another 02a.

7. alackofspeed Forum Member

I'm confused: the chap ina vwvortexthread usedan O2J, and althoughhe used bespoke driveshafts, admitted later that they were a waste of cash, and he should have used the O2O ones.http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=808137

Won't the 1.8t be revvingunnecessarily high (given the torque available)at 80-90 with a 16v box?

Edited by: alackofspeed

8. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

I'm running 290lb/ft through a MK3 16V 02A 'Box that's been reconditioned by 'Hotgolf' off of this forum, low ratio 4th and 5th gears from a Passat and a Peloquin ATB diff. 02A lightened flywheel aswell.

Like Rallye says, lighten the flywheel whilst it's out, I've gone for a Sachs G60 Power Clutch bought from GSF; It's well up to the job and can handle the power fine.

The Mk3 16V has ratios that will allow you to hit 60mph in 2nd - thus a good 0-60mph time too.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

From just one of his comments in that thread:-

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just realised he is referring to the intermediate support bracket across the top of the gearbox. So im not sure, but diesel ratios!! [xx(]

11. Tarnbir Forum Member

Ive Heard that the Diesel gearbox is supposed to be very good for a 20v conversion, Have a word with Storm development, he build one a while back, was doing 175mph on thc clock on rollers (his words), and the guy owns a 3.1 vr6 supercharged mk2 golf.

hope this mite help you,
    taz

12. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

I used a diesel box in my passat (revo'd bam engine),it was mint on the motorway but as soon as u give it a bit from a standing start u notice its a bit crap. Never done a top speed run but it done 140mph in 4th gear on stealths rollers.

For a mk2 id say no way as its geared way too high. maybe in a striped out mk1 it would be ok.

13. prof Forum Addict

pd 02m deisel box is geared for 235mph on 15s and is a huge mother,

the petrol 02m box from a TT or leon is huge but with great ratios

14. heliosbluemk2 Forum Member

I've got a MK3 02A box with an 02A lightened flywheel and a G60 Sachs performance clutch

you don't need to worry about the hydraulic clutch setup on the 02A as this can be converted to SEAT cable operation on the 02A boxes. Can't tell you what it's like as I haven't got it back from Voodoo yet ;)

15. trialsy Forum Member

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the replies and advice from everyone, i have now gone and got myself a box from a 16v seat ibiza :)

going to get a vr6 clutch and flywheel.

i cant wait til shes all up and running(could be a while yet though) :)