fast indicators???

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by waynos, Nov 2, 2003.

1. waynos Forum Member

i hav a mk1 1.1 golf. everytime i indicate the lights seem to flash on and off very fast (more of a flicker than a flash) none of the bulbs r blown so i dont kno what it cud be.any ideas?

also i only seem to have one setting for my windscreen wipers,if i flick the stalk up once i get nothing then if i flick it again i get a slow speed. what happened to the fast setting or even intermittent? is it meant to be like this?

2. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like something in the stalks gone funny.

Strip it out and see if you're getting power to it, and also that the switching is working. If all the fuses and bulbs are okay, that sounds like the problem area, more so if the wipers aren't playing ball too.

Al

3. Admin Guest

check the connection for the bulbs that twist, are on properly. so that the back side and front are all flashing, if one is out it will flash like you say.

4. MarkGolf Forum Member

CHECK THE BULBS..

My car done this and I paniced. Mate just told me its a loose bulb and it was! lol

5. waynos Forum Member

all connections and bulbs are fine,im guna have 2 check out the stalks then.its really annoying cos they flash like a bulb is blown yet they are all working. and with the wipers its difficult to see in hard rain wen the only speed u can get is slow.

is there anything to look for wen i take the stalks off?

6. Rustynuts Forum Member

Are you talking about my car here? ;) Have exactly the same problems as you. The indicators could be that someone has put the wrong relay in the fuse box, one for a car with the later wing indicators found on all cars post 85.

As for your wipers, can't help on that one, again it may be the relay or perhaps even the wiper motor (I doubt it) My solution is that i am not taking the Mk1 out in the rain. [:^:]

7. domma Forum Member

My fronts are the blame for this on my mk1.

If they are flashing quickly its only till i hit a pot hole and they are fine again. Its all the wet and gunk in all the connections. Had them appart umteen times and they still do it now and then.

I've just bought whole new units so i hope this will stop it.

Another mk1 trait i'm affraid boys.

Cheers Domma.....

8. pualo New Member

Or could be the earth connection to the body on the boot floor - as you open the boot, look in the nearside corner closest to you and there is a bolt with connections on it. I painted the inside of the boot, and so the screw wasn't connecting to metal, making my indicators all go stupid.