Feeler: Mk2 Quick Ratio non-PAS Racks

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by tobyk, Dec 28, 2007.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The latest -action on this thread is on Edition 38 - see link above.

This list has existed for some time, and it's just a case of hitting min quantities and pressing the button.

2. mec82 Forum Member

Chris, sorry but could you possibly take me off the list please, I've got more pressing things I need to pay for at the moment, cheers.

3. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Oops I'd utterly forgotten about this. Still interest from people though, cool. Drove my non-PAS Mk2 for the first time in ages (got a 90 spec PAS 16v daily now) and must say there isn't a huge difference in feel between PAS and non-PAS but the PAS setup doesn't seem to react as quickly even though the rack is quicker...

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

You still thinking about going with Quaife ?? I'd be interested in a mk1 quick rack if they can add them to the list!

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

is it worth contacting quaife to push this

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No - it depends on having numbers first. If 10+ firm orders were ready to go, then you'd go to Quaife.

7. ronnie35 Forum Member

Im not registered on edition 38, however i would seriously consider this, either one or two racks. The car is a mk2 ibiza, which I understand is same as mk2 golf pas rack

8. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Only just noticed this thread, I'm interested in one of these for the track car, do I need to put my name
    Down on E38? The cars in bits at the moment so can make any
    Measurements if needed

9. Mook

Mook Forum Member

I think a separate post I made asking about quickracks has revived this thread. I spoke to Quaife about theirs (as theirs is LHD only) and asked if they had any plans and the answer was no :(

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

added me as +1 reckoning if we had 13 rack order it may help:lol:

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If we get 10 people wanting to do this, the answer will become yes. It'll become yes, because I've dealt with them before, took the Mk1 quick rack GB through to a 45-unit success and I reckon they've sold 200 of them by now, if not more.

Concentrate on the numbers, and also some subtle change through production on the pinion spline which I know little about which they'll need to make a call on, and then I'll try to assist with getting it moving. Get the Edition guys together on it too.

AFAIK, this will also suit Seat Ibiza Mk2 & 3, so ask around on SeatCupra.net.

12. Mook

Mook Forum Member

1) tobyk - Toby Knight
    2) Ray268
    3) 486NPO
    4) swaffGTI
    5) StuMc
    6) Neal H
    7) luke w
    8) matt~driver
    9) bazoldskoolmk2
    10) mec82
    11) PAB
    12) sparrow
    13) Crispy (mk1 rack)
    14) Mook - Mk2 RHD rack

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Are these people all still currently interested?

What's the deal with this spline difference? Anyone?

14. Mook

Mook Forum Member

If it's PAS versus manual rack, the spline on the non-PAS rack is lower down, so you need a different UJ to connect to the steerign column.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

See page 1, post 4, onwards for the mention of the spline. I know nothing about it at all.

Would these racks also suit Mk3? Are Mk3 racks (minus steering arms) all the same as Mk2 Golf / Mk 2&3 Ibiza?

16. Mook

Mook Forum Member

You mean I've got to read the whole thread...?! :p

OK, read it now. This is to do with the splines where the UJ attaches to the rack. Later Mk2s have more splines, so, I would assume (but not state) that the Seats and Polos would have the same option.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Post 4 and 5 are a good start point!

18. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

I've Just measured the rack on my 84 mk2 non pas. The splines where the rack join the UJ, There are 40 splines, the diameter across splines is 17.5mm and above the splines it's a 16mm diameter.

This doesn't seem to match any of the previous figures that were mentioned?? Perhaps it's because it's one of the first mk2's.

Here's some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added my name to the list.

1) tobyk - Toby Knight
    2) Ray268
    3) 486NPO
    4) swaffGTI
    5) StuMc
    6) Neal H
    7) luke w
    8) matt~driver
    9) bazoldskoolmk2
    10) mec82
    11) PAB
    12) sparrow
    13) Crispy (mk1 rack)
    14) Mook - Mk2 RHD rack
    15) MLloyd2000

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  19. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Right, think I've got this splines thing worked out.

Been browsing ETKA,

MK2 golf's from release in 1984 upto some point in 1990 had racks which had 40 splines, from 90 onwards it changed to 18.

[​IMG]
    screen shot shows the chasis number when it changed over, number of splines is indicated by the Z=40 or Z=18

the change in splines on the rack also ment the universal joint changed at the same time
    [​IMG]

the steering columb remained the same on all mk2's so all thats needed to change between early and late racks is the corresponding UJ,

Even better news is that mk3's with manual racks (only available upto 1996 as far as i can tell) all have the same rack as the late MK2.

the only differance being the UJ which on mk3's is in two parts.

[​IMG]

so looks like one option would be to have the racks made up with the 18 splines, meaning a straight swap for late mk2's and manual mk3's.
    early mk2's would need to change the UJ to a late one
    PAS mk3's would need to swap the lower part of the UJ to a manual one.

Or would it be better to have get them made up in 40 spline version, meaning straight swap for early golfs, as there are more of these about and will be easier to find an early UJ to fit to a late car than the other way round, howether they would then not be compatable with the mk3.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cheers for checking all that out. The last thing to check would be the Ibiza (which hopefully should be 18 spline).

Given that there will be more availabilty of the later UJ (scrappies etc, the older the car, the less likely to find etc + risk of older parts obselescence at VW), it'd be logical to go with the late splines.