Fibre broadband - is it any good?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by TheSecondComing, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'm on copper Plusnet now, and the speed isn't fantastic for downloads. I was looking at BT's fibre offering, and I'm only 5 houses away from the "green box", so not too much copper, and also there are only about 7 wireless networks I can detect with Backtrack and a separate wireless box in the loft - 4 visible on the computer normally, only two I can connect to apart from mine.
    Can't get cable, they haven't put it in my road and show no signs of doing so.
    D'you reckon it's worth the cash? I do download a lot of torrents, Iplayer, etc, would be nice if they were faster...

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Oh hell yes. I went from 3 Meg down, 1 Meg up to 20Meg down, 5 Meg up. 20 Meg was the lowest the engineer had seen too, as we have that crappy aluminium phone cable, not the proper copper stuff. [:x]

I can't describe how much better it is. Just do it.

I managed to download 50Gig the first night after it was installed... :lol:

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

without a doubt get it

4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

[​IMG]

Virgin throttle untill the morning so only getting 30mb at the moment.
    5MB upload though:)

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`m thinking of sacking BT off because of their shocking customer services (took three months to fix a known fault, and no refund yet..), but the Infinity fibre broadband is pretty impressive.

I`m just shy of 40Mb download and almost 10Mb upload. It does get throttled down to about 20 and 5 during peak times, but not much performance loss as a result.

6. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I'm on the BT Infinity FTTC package.

Went from dodgy 4meg down 780k up to flawlessly solid 40meg down 10meg up...

7. vidfletch Forum Member

Definitely worth it!

[​IMG]

I am on Infinity Option 1. Surfing is pretty much the same but downloading and streaming is much better!