Finding a head unit I like

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Barkstar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Barkstar Forum Member

I'm trying to find a headunit for my Mk2 that I like the look of. Something that looks like the std Vdub stuff in Mk4 golfs and the like - matt black and understated. I don't want to spend a fortune and I'm not running any amps, subs or trying to stun Rhinos at 40 paces but it must play mp3s. Just about every unit now has more buttons than the control room in a nuclear power stn and lights up like Blackpool prom in September - Urrgh!
    Someone must do something that doesn't look like a fairground ride.
    Any suggestions?
    Barkstar [:*:]

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

How bigs your wallet? Nakamichi?

Alternatively, Blaupunkt still make some fairly subtle headunits.

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

as do becker...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i'd go for nakamichi or becker, obviously depending on budget - just not a fan o blaupunkt ...

didn't Rockford Fosgate (before they turned crap) used to make some cracking, but subtle HUs? may be worth tracking one down 2nd hand?

6. mexicorich Forum Member

I have limited experince the last few years of only Kenwood, Sony and Blaupunkt. Have to say the Blaupunkts work extremely well, pull the signal in well and and produce a much clearer sound than the other two in sub 200 head units

7. Barkstar Forum Member

Cheers folks. Budget isn't going to stretch to anything that cost more than the car and isn't it always the way that anything tasteful is expensive. Even Sony have gone all Maxpower bling.
    I took a look at the Blaupunkt site but the Essen and similar Brighton are BD Dealership only what ever than means - Bluespot don't have them anyway!
    The reason for wanting matt black and subtle is the planned instalation of a Votex consol - I've got a DIN cupholder/cubble hole for the dash and a Fischer CD holder for one DIN slot and don't want an ugly flashing jukebox spoiling it all.
    Hence wanting the black buttons on a black background that light up black when you press them look (RIP Douglas Adams).
    Ebay here I come only 73 pages of ICE to plough through!!!
    Barkstar

8. Jeff Forum Junkie

was gonna say, ebay for a secondhand one.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You can get Blaupunkt Essen MP35 on ebay from Germany for €99. Bargain!

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

rfx 8140 [:D] a grand new back in day...i got one of them and 2 8130's

11. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I've read on another forum that nakamichi are no longer imported into the UK anymore so thats bad news for any warranty work, I could be wrong tho.

12. MK1 GIT Forum Member

[​IMG]

How about one of these. What I had in the MK1 cos I thought it looked a bit retro in keeping with the car.

13. Barkstar Forum Member

Head unit

I'm quite liking that Pioneer unit and I can imaging it looks very tidy in a Mk1 or any 70/80s car. Had a quick look on Ebay and there are lots of neat Blaupunkt and Becker CD players out of Porkers and Mercs but none are mp3 and lots have no code which may or may not be a problem. If I can get one cheap enough might go for something like that for the time being and wait for head units that take DVDs to get popular. Then I can have the entire music collection on the 4 discs in the fischer thingy - just think no more cr*p rattling around in the glovebox/door pockets driving you nuts.

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

15. Barkstar Forum Member

Head unit

That is a billy bargain price. I guess BD dealers only means Blaupunkt Germany.
    That Pioneer unit is a round 200+ a good price as it is very neat but 85 delivered for the Essen is untouchable really.
    Cheer for the advice

16. GolfJocky Forum Member

As far as I know they still import and they also on ebay.

17. stanstorey Forum Member

I know the problem on finding a subtle dark coloured headunit and why is everything light up like fruitmachines!

Hope the Essen looks good, could you stick a picture up when it's installed?

Oh and for anyone looking for a quality HU, i've spotted this on another forum i frequent:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330945

Is it true they sold them at a loss?!

18. Cleggstar Forum Member

have you considered an MP3 CD changer you can hide somewhere, might be able to control it by one of the cheap mk4 beta stereos? if not one from that brand thats cheap and subtle, doesnt have to be MP3 so you might find a nice one.

maybe find out if Blaupunkt and Becker make an MP3 changer that you could connect to the head unit from a porker, or merc etc

6 CD:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=167

10 CD:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=183

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  19. Barkstar Forum Member

Got a bit of a result - I've been offered a Pioneer unit like the one above at a really good price so I've gone for that - I was a mouse click away from ordering the Essen. I did wonder about getting a changer that can handle mp3s and a std CD headunit but I figured that the fischer CD-box holds 4 CDs and there's one in the headunit that's 60 albums worth give or take - more than enough.
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't what a taste free stereo either
    Cheers Barkstar