Finding a mk3 gti

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by The db, Mar 6, 2008.

1. stew72 Forum Member

Lots of stupidly priced mk3's out there at the moment. A dealer local to me has a mint very late 5 door valver with around 80k on but wants just shy of 3k! Anotther guy has a pretty average late 5 door 8v with ac showing 48k which I know isn't genuine for 2k.

I travelled to middleborough from Norwich to get my 97 5 door 8v because it was the right price (anything around here was 300-400 more) and had aircon.

2. cocobay63 Forum Member

i agree, nice motor, has the best in what mk3 has to offer !!:)

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

So it turns out the mk3 I was interested in buying has a rusty bit around the window on the tailgate. The owner has a spare bootlid, but it will need painting.

Its put me off a bit. I'm not sure what the cost of spraying a bootlid would be or how much hassle it would be to fit? Any ideas anybody?

4. cocobay63 Forum Member

dont know but you might be able to pick up a bootlid from Aylesbury salvage dude, bet you the rust is around the numberplate, window area, had it on my blue L Reg GTi

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

On a plus note the original one you e-mailed me about has come down a bit in price and I've offered him the top end of my budget for it pending viewing next weekend... (the blue one)

6. cocobay63 Forum Member

get that one mate ! i think the owner of that one was on this forum at one point, but yea like that one too, with the S3 rims right ? he's in reading too right ? not to far, given the choice its hard but the 5 door ones i think still look the business,

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

He is a bit further away than Reading!

8. Dubmuffin Forum Member

9. Dubmuffin Forum Member

My offer still stands... just needs two alloys fitted (which I have), tyres swapping and fogs sprayed to match each other [:$]:lol:

10. Jonny777 Forum Member

Errr DB.

Buy a tiny engined diseasel for a commute.

Dont put yourself through fat mk3 ownership. [:^(] :lol:

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

less of it! (you dont wanna be run over by a mk3 lol)

12. Jonny777 Forum Member

:lol:

Bring it on. [:x]

13. cocobay63 Forum Member

tried to tell him this already, lol ive got a oil burner and it probably goes better then the GTi anyway just you wait till i get the thing remapped, lol

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I know the mk3's are lardy and dont handle all that fantastic which is why I'm buying one for a commute :lol:. I cant bring myself to buy something that sounds like a transit van. I need petrol in my life and approx 35mpg. Atm I'm lucky if I do 27mpg.

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

wiesel is the way forword. I love my estate, it doesnt sould like a tractor and will munch miles way better than most other cars ive been in. also 50+ to the gallon, not to be sniffed at. mines having a tuning box on it next week which should give me 140bhp, and ill still be doing 50mpg+

you could pick up a tidy pug for under 1500 or and ill say it again "a rover 45td" :lol: - waits for the bashing... and run it on cookig oil, even bigger saving of money!!

16. Jonny777 Forum Member

My 8v GTI which is completely standard will get 30ish mpg, well, probably a bit more on the motorway. So i cant see a Mk3 with the fatterness and 2.0 block doing much better. [:[] [:p]

Ah well. I'd just have a Lupo/Polo TDI, the 3 pot one. Then keep the valver, cos i well and truly love your car tbh. :)

17. The db

The db Forum Junkie

hmm well i might not sell up at this rate.

the mk3 16v I was going to look up turns out to have some rust issues I dont want to tackle and the 8v, as nice as it is, is not worth the 2150 the owner wants for it, even with 78,000 miles. I tried to bring him down to a more realistic 1900 but he wasnt having it.

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I need to sell the mk2 to afford another car. I aint made of money!

20. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Is a mk3 really all that different to a mk2 for this purpose? Is it that much more refined for commuting/motorway etc.? Ones ive been in didnt seem a lot different, although i supose air con is something good in the summer.

Cheers

Dan