Fine for 'road legal' pressed plates

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by rich81, Dec 22, 2012.

1. m1keh Forum Member

Slight bend is utter bull****, plenty of cars have number plates screwed on with a slight curve to them.

But yes, probably worth just paying the fine to save the trouble....

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I just don`t `get` pressed metal plates at ALL. [​IMG]

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

What a load of cod**** the coppers have tried to feed you. Dont pay it. Contest it. Put a complaint in as well, for the fact they risked the health of your wife/unborn.

Remember, you dont have German style plates. Press this home. They are metallic UK road legal plates, and 3D lettering is perfectly permitted. Go ape **** on the stupid copper.

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Like Luke says. Don't pay the fine, why should you? No law has been broken and the fact he got your missus to get out and stand in the cold when she is that heavily pregnant is bang out of order. I'd be getting that coppers details and put in a complaint in a flash.

5. f2 ed Forum Member

me neither

6. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I dont either but IF they are legal the op shouldn't be fined.

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

If the plates are legal then you really are left with only two choices

a, Refuse to pay the fine, make a complaint for your wife's treatment. Tick the "see you in court" box if that's what it takes.

or

b, Stop whinging about it and pay the fine. Then bend over and take it the next time too. Meanwhile the same copper will keep fining other people for the same thing - some of whom won't know better to have the option of making a stand about it.

Either way, best wishes to the Mrs and bump. Have a great Christmas.

8. rich81 Forum Member

lol Yeah this is exactly the problem, these kinds of things are on the edge of the law and whilst legal we can't expect every copper to know every detail about number plate legality. It would be nice if they did but I'm sure there are more important laws to remember. I would expect dedicated traffic cops to know though. There are loads of cars round my way with illegal German style ones so I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of running these on the car my wife also drives (I don't mind having them on my mk2 because she can't drive that and I am happy to argue with the police if they pull me!)

As said before we don't feel like the hassle of contending this (would have to be in court) with a baby due imminently so fine already sent. Time to forget about this and enjoy xmas :)

9. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

You may well find it would never reach court. If you tick the box on the fixed penalty to say you want to contest it the CPS would have to be pretty sure of a conviction for them to proceed.

10. mk1. Forum Junkie

Paying the fine your admitting the plates are illigal so the next time you get pulled for them you have no defence.

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

That's a shame. He will continue to fine people when he is in the wrong.

12. lewp91 Forum Member

hopefully OP can find out who the bobby was and suggest just that...

I hate that there are police out there who don't know motoring laws well enough to enforce them correctly

(by no means a dig at the police at all, just the individuals that taint them so)

13. Bat. Forum Member

This makes me really cross.

I got pulled recently for the same thing, though my plates were German font, so I was bang to rights. Was in town on a busy Saturday afternoon. Two traffic cops in a Volvo estate. Took a good few minutes to queue and find a car park to pull over in. One copper then strolled over and started saying "wie gehts?, wie gehts?". I said good afternoon, and he then said "oh, so you're not German then?" I said no, and he asked why I had German plates. I said that they had a GB symbol on them and that they could be read by ANPR, but I agreed that the font was not UK legal. I was quite short with him by this point, but perfectly willing to take a fine. He asked me to come and sit in his car and I said I wasn't happy to leave my 8 year old son alone in my car. He then suggested we stand between the cars which was fine.

I then got a patronising spiel about how I can put funny lights or whatever I want on my car for shows, but on the road it had to be legal. I again said that my plates showed GB and could be read by ANPR systems. He went to speak to his colleague, then came back and said if I agreed to change the plates the same day, then he'd let me off. Seemed odd, but I think his partner must have been annoyed that he'd bothered with me.

Had he fined me, I'd have paid it, but if my plates had been like yours, then there's no way. Totally out of order the way your wife was treated IMO.

14. lewp91 Forum Member

totally agree with you there Bat. sounds like a patronising ******.

15. jarynn Forum Member

any update on this?

16. rich81 Forum Member

The only update is that I paid the fine and the plates are still on the car and will be staying on.
    Also baby girl has been born healthy and we are now far too busy to worry about a stupid fine for number plates!

17. GTI_Baby New Member

Got mine from https://www.ukmetalplates.com, been pulled over several times for my impeccable driving ;) and never had an issue with the plates, but I would defo contest if they tried to fine me!